TiBook processor upgradable?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Every one of Apple's G3 PowerBooks since Wall Street has been processor upgradable. I was wondering, does anyone know if the TiBook will accept processor upgrades as well. I would be nice to upgrade my 550MHz 7440 to a 1GHz Apollo. I plan on keeping this notebook for several years. More ram will only get you so far.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    enderender Posts: 353member
    well, <a href="http://www.everymac.com"; target="_blank">http://www.everymac.com</a>; lists the G3 powerbooks as having daughtercard CPU upgrades. EveryMac has N/A for the CPU upgrades on G4 powerbooks. I guess that that means "no", unless the manufacturers of the CPU upgrades get creative like they had to do with many of the 5xxx/6xxx PowerMacs. But my guess is still No.

Bummer too... I've got a 667 MHz Ti PB that I'd like to keep around for a while.

-Ender
  • Reply 2 of 5
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Big NO.

Chip is actually soldered on to the motherboard to save space.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Hmmm... I seem to remember reading about companies using the cache slot on some desktop models???. It might be possible to use the RAM slots. But it'd be very expensive, and probably wouldn't fit (even with modifications)

No no. The best upgrade tactic for macs has become to use their quite good resale value, against a new machine.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    enderender Posts: 353member
    I doubt that a RAM slot has the necessary input/output/power requirements for a processor. That, and have you seen how much space the RAM slots in the Ti PB have? Like none... and then you'd be limited to 512 MB RAM max.

Even if all of that was worked around, you'd be limited to the speed of the bus serving the slot. I don't think that's going to be the answer to upgrading a TiBook.

I do remember hearing about PCI slot processors though... perhaps the PCIMCA slot could be used to accept a processor upgrade?

I remember that some company made a PCI card with 4 G4 processors on it... I suppose it would be possible to have an 18 G4 processor Quicksilver. I wonder if there is any software/OS that could handle such power... mmmmm... 18 G4s...

-Ender
  • Reply 4 of 5
    dvddvd Posts: 45member
    and didnt u post the same thing at another mac forum? hehe. I have yet to see a pismo upgrade card.