15" PB display replacement

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have G4 867 Pbook, with a display that needs replacing. I was in Bryant Park this spring, some pollen fell down from a tree, and ate through the top of the display. So now I have big smudge.

So I was thinking of getting a replacement screen from ebay - they seem to be on sale in general for around $450. Apart from the obvious thoughts about quality control, does anyone have any advice? I take it that a dealer will be able to remove the old screen and put a new one on relatively easily, using the same hinges and stuff?

Thanks

kumrabai

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    taliesintaliesin Posts: 117member
    I happen to be an expert on this matter (x=unknown, quantity spurt= drip under pressure) I cracked my display and set out to find out how to replace it. Let's start with obvious, Apple the does it and it cost about 1300 bones. Next is powerbook medic for about 900 I believe. The displays that you see on ebay are in most cases for non-dvi machines. The ones that aren't usually are, as you mentioned without the titanium skin. There are instructions on the web for doing this job yourself. Please for the love of god, Don't! Those instructions do not work they will make a mess of the bezel and it will look like crap when you are done. The glue they use in the assembly is far too strong to separate the way the instructions suggest. The pros use a proprietary solvent (read: they won't sell it and they won't tell you what it is) to dissolve the glue without eating the paint or the screen presumably. I have used a variety of industrial solvents; xylene, acetone, laquer thinner, my mother in laws coffee. None of them made a dent in the glue. They did however eat the paint right off. Just kidding about the coffee. I don't wanna dissolve the titanium
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by taliesin

I happen to be an expert on this matter (x=unknown, quantity spurt= drip under pressure) I cracked my display and set out to find out how to replace it. Let's start with obvious, Apple the does it and it cost about 1300 bones. Next is powerbook medic for about 900 I believe. The displays that you see on ebay are in most cases for non-dvi machines. The ones that aren't usually are, as you mentioned without the titanium skin. There are instructions on the web for doing this job yourself. Please for the love of god, Don't! Those instructions do not work they will make a mess of the bezel and it will look like crap when you are done. The glue they use in the assembly is far too strong to separate the way the instructions suggest. The pros use a proprietary solvent (read: they won't sell it and they won't tell you what it is) to dissolve the glue without eating the paint or the screen presumably. I have used a variety of industrial solvents; xylene, acetone, laquer thinner, my mother in laws coffee. None of them made a dent in the glue. They did however eat the paint right off. Just kidding about the coffee. I don't wanna dissolve the titanium

Yikes. Glue. . . . Who knew? And not even the coffee works. Back to plan B. I take it that a professional can take off the screen though, and not wreck the hinges etc. . .?

A
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by kumrabai

Yikes. Glue. . . . Who knew? And not even the coffee works. Back to plan B. I take it that a professional can take off the screen though, and not wreck the hinges etc. . .?

A

Just ask them if they guarantee that the appearence of the bezel will be unharmed when they do the replacement. Be sure to get it in writing. Good Luck!