Where to buy replacement CD/DVD drive...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
for my G4. The Apple Store does not sell cd or dvd rom drives.

Don't I have to have one that is Mac compatable or can I just go to Circuit City and pick one up?

Your Pal

G4 Mac User

Don't want a burner - just a cd/dvd rom drive just like the one I have currently.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Most if not all of the ones that you'll find in stores will work fine with your G4.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    enderender Posts: 353member
    Yup, as long as you get an ATAPI drive (ATA Packet Interface) it will work - BTW, IDE is the same thing for all intents and purposes. Basically, if it's an internal drive and it's not SCSI it will be fine.

That said, the thing you'll have to check for is that the eject button on the drive is in the same place as the one you currently have. Otherwise the eject button on the G4 case might not work.

-Ender
  • Reply 3 of 6
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    Of course, you can always rip off the front panel to access the bare beige CD ROM cover.

Check out PriceWatch.com and NewEgg. A new 50X drive will cost you about $25-$35.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    [quote]Originally posted by Ender:

<strong>Yup, as long as you get an ATAPI drive (ATA Packet Interface) it will work - BTW, IDE is the same thing for all intents and purposes. Basically, if it's an internal drive and it's not SCSI it will be fine.

-Ender</strong><hr></blockquote>

i've always wondered, what's the difference between ATAPI, and IDE. Could someone explain it?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by G4 Mac User:

<strong>for my G4. The Apple Store does not sell cd or dvd rom drives.

Don't I have to have one that is Mac compatable or can I just go to Circuit City and pick one up?

Your Pal

G4 Mac User

Don't want a burner - just a cd/dvd rom drive just like the one I have currently.</strong><hr></blockquote>

you can pick most any one up. check <a href="http://www.xlr8yourmac.com"; target="_blank">www.xlr8yourmac.com</a>

they have a drive compatibility database. very helpful.

or

you can buy an Apple one from otherworldcomputing
  • Reply 6 of 6
    x704x704 Posts: 276member
    Using XLR8yourmac's comp. base, I found out that the Toshiba SW 1002 is almost fully compatable (some issues with Apples disc burner, but can be hacked to work). I picked up this CDRW/DVD for $65 on ebay a few months ago (may be even cheaper now). Installation is a breeze on the G4. Works fine with DVD's & I use Toast to burn CD. As AppleNut said, it's very helpful.