Real Heroes???

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Perhaps its just me not changing with the times but i having trouble with the casual use of the term "hero" (is its just post 9/11 boosterism that makes it more noticeable?).

When one sees 'band of brothers' or reads about medal winners (honor, silver star, etc.) from previous wars most of the deeds seemed really beyond the call of duty; like throwing yourself on a grenade to save a comerade.

Now you are captured or wounded or otherwise doing your job when misfortune strikes = you're a hero?? What's the new definition of "hero" and what do "old school" acts beyond the expected get called???

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Hero is a cheapened word. And in this culture, you cannot re-enrich a depleted word. The best thing you can do now is .com .org .biz and .us it so that MAYBE one day you can sell it to a company who really needs it. Eventually they'll invent a new word like Quark which will catch on and replace the evil word. Until then, heroes they will be.

EDIT: Heroes like this?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I have to agree. My best friends father was in Vietnam. He has a big ass nasty scar on his face where he got shot while in a helicopter lifting off. After getting shot in the face he helped other people worse off than he was. He got a medal for that, more than the purple heart.

My father in law has a bronze star. Don't know what for. He doesn't talk about that stuff.

My father's grave marker says "Vietnam" on it. When I saw it I thought it was very very odd. My father was on an aircraft carrier during Vietnam but he made his career flying P3-Cs over the pacific. I never thought of him as a "Vietnam vet'". I almost think it should say "Cold War" but ...

So it can be odd where the labels come from.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
  • Reply 4 of 4
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    I agree. This is a hero. I want one! NOW!