B/W G3 ZIF upgrade

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Does anyone know why the ZIF 1 GHz upgrade from Sonnet only works in the beige G3 and not the Blue and White? It seems kind of ridiculous. And if anyone knows when the "Coming soon" (for blue and white) will change to "Now available" please please please let me know...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    they are ever so different sockets, the pins are not the same for the two etc etc. that doesnt mean it is impossible to get it to work,.,
  • Reply 2 of 5
    i believe they are both socket 1 ZIF-type interfaces, are they not?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    The beige G3 has jumpers you set to change the clock speed of the unit... I think it's a bit different on a B&W. I don't really know the specifics though...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    They take the exact same ZIF.

They have the exact same jumper block.

The difference is the system bus and clock multiplier. The Beige has a 66 MHz system bus and the B&W has a 100 MHz system bus.

Sonnet was able to get 1 GHz from the Beige's bus and multiplier and is working on doing the same for the B&W.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    I'm rather amazed ZIF G3 upgrades have made it to 1 GHz! I just got the 900 MHz upgrade from Powerlogix for my BW, as well. I remember my dashed hopes a while ago when someone told me that 500 MHz would be the end of the road due to no more multipliers available to come up with higher speeds. Who woulda thunk... So now I wonder where the limit for G3 ZIF's will ultimately end up? Could I one day be pondering the purchase of a 2+ GHz G3 for a computer that came out in 1998?

As for the original topic, I really don't see why the BW version would be delayed. Maybe there are some stability/compatibility issues they are still trying to iron out?