iTunes for Win

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I?ve heard that iTunes is coming out for Windows. This is a question for the PC users on this board. How many of you would use it, and how many of you would buy songs from it? Just curious.

Anyone know hat the new release date is.

And from Mac users, how are you guys enjoying it, and what features do you use/like the most.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    wjmoorewjmoore Posts: 210member
    I'd use it on my PC if it was free, which I don't expect it will be. So basically I'll stick with it on my Macs and leave WinAMP to do what it does best on the PC.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    That makes since.

Since i'm planning on getting an iBook in september (2004) i'll just stick to using iTunes on it.

Anyone hear about BitTorrent?

For now i'll jus stick to using Torrs. and Winamp. Just need a bigger HD
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by WJMoore

I'd use it on my PC if it was free, which I don't expect it will be.

I don't know if it makes sense to charge for it. They'll *have* to give it away for free with every iPod purchase as it makes the iPod far more usable on the PC side.

Charging non-iPod users for it when it will encourage people to buy songs from iTunes Music Store (and therfore use AAC rather than WMA, and then buy a portable that plays AAC) doesn't make much sense either.

And as for release date, the rumours suggest it should be out within a month, end of year at the very latest.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    wjmoorewjmoore Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

I don't know if it makes sense to charge for it. They'll *have* to give it away for free with every iPod purchase as it makes the iPod far more usable on the PC side.

Charging non-iPod users for it when it will encourage people to buy songs from iTunes Music Store (and therfore use AAC rather than WMA, and then buy a portable that plays AAC) doesn't make much sense either.

And as for release date, the rumours suggest it should be out within a month, end of year at the very latest.

I have no doubt it will be included with iPod's. You make a good point about the rest of the users. I had overlooked that it is a money making program (in the US...) without charging for it.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    It wouldnt make sense to pay for WinTunes. Just keep it simple (a la Apple) and "convince" windows users that this is just the tip of the iceberg of cool things you can have on a MacOS X system.

Plus, what would be the return on such a thing? Nothing.

You make the money ( a little ) on the iTunes store, and the iPods that work o-so-well with iTunes. Even Jobs said that.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    This would be the time for Apple to distribute millions of Free CD-ROM's containing iTunes and Quicktime for Windows users to be available at CompUSA, Best Buy, etc. They could also mail the free CDs to previous buyers of Windows iPods.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Or they could sell it for say $20 and offer 20 free downloads from the music store. Get 'em hooked on the crack (and have them create an Apple ID) and then they'll be addicted.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    charging for the pc version would be suicide...

winamp is pretty damm good & is free

why would someone pay for itunes on the pc side ?

giving it away would be great way for people to look

at getting an ipod & other apple products..
  • Reply 9 of 13
    It would be ironic if Apple charged for iTunes Windows, because most users would get it off KaZaA. So in order to use the Music Store, many would resort to using P2P.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Come on guys, Apple isn't going to charge for iTunes for Windows. Apple has done some stupid thngs in the past, but they're not that stupid. The will make more money for music store sales by giving away for free than the would charging for it. Use common sense.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    with a wack ass dell @ work and a firewire card.... iuse xplay to play music from my ipod. itunes for wack ass dell's would be great.....
  • Reply 12 of 13
    lolololo Posts: 87member
    **CONFIRMED**

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-5088849.html?tag=nl

The Mac maker has scheduled an event for next Thursday at San Francisco's Moscone West convention hall. "The year's biggest music story is about to get even bigger," Apple said in an invitation to journalists.

• Reply 13 of 13
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    One site has reported that there will be 400,000 songs.