Trying to use my TV as a monitor....

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

I currently have an iBook 800Mhz G3 with 32 MB of VRAM and 640MB RAM. I bought the Apple Video Adapter and the followed the provided instructions for displaying the monitor screen onto the TV. After a couple of times, I finally got it working. From what I could tell, it began working once I turned off both the TV and computer completely rather than juts simply restarting the computer. Anyways, now when trying to do it again, it fails to work. I have the exact same connections and settings and when I turn on my laptop, I can see alot of static on the video channel suggesting to me that the TV is receiving some sort of signal. In the past when it worked, this happened when I was starting up and the gray screen with the dark gray apple was still up. Once it got to the "Welcome to Mac OS X" screen, the screen rendered on the TV. What happens now is that when my laptop gets to the Welcome screen, the TV goes black. I'm completely at a loss since both the adapter and the TV are pretty much brand new. Also, just for reference, I do have the first OS 10.2.8 update installed on my iBook and I've yet to install the second update. From looking at the update specs, I wouldn't imagine this would have made the difference, but just wanted to throw that out there. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    eepeep Posts: 17member
    Put the TV and the iBook to sleep. connect them. wake the tv. then the ibook. If you don't get a picture, open system prefs/displays. click 'detect displays'.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    the control panel for Displays includes a checkbox for "Show Display in Menubar"

then just pull down the monitor icon (next to volume/battery) to "Detect Displays". faster. always accessible.

of course, using your TV as a monitor for anything other than DVD/movie watching is bad.

eyestrain caused by low res compared to monitor (and interlacing)
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by eep

Put the TV and the iBook to sleep. connect them. wake the tv. then the ibook. If you don't get a picture, open system prefs/displays. click 'detect displays'.

When you say put it to sleep, do you mean turn it off?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by tspencer83

When you say put it to sleep, do you mean turn it off?

I think he means kill it. Try dropping it off a cliff or introduce it to a sledgehammer.

(yes turn the TV off)
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Works great now. Thanks much