More new questions for pb's.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Okay, so I remember from my iMac there was a function where you could program the computer to turn itself on, almost like an alarm clock, and do certain functions. Anyone know if that's possible with OS X? Also, anyone else get a whistling type sound when connecting to Apple Site online? And sometimes a few other sites as well. It's when it's over a secure connection, just seems very random.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    regreg Posts: 832member
    http://ibeezz.reboute.net/en/ This looks like what you are looking for. I have a pb so there is no need to shutdown. If you need apps to launch when you startup go to system preference > login and select what you want started.

reg
  • Reply 2 of 7
    The auto-start function is back in panther (mac OS X.3) ! :-)

In the energy Saver Pref panel, you can tell me what day and at what time you want your mac to start or shut down !

But I haven't tried it yet ! ...
  • Reply 3 of 7
    666666 Posts: 134member
    Quote:

Originally posted by reg

http://ibeezz.reboute.net/en/ This looks like what you are looking for. I have a pb so there is no need to shutdown. If you need apps to launch when you startup go to system preference > login and select what you want started.

reg

no need to shutdown? ever? i'm getting my first powerbook on monday, you can leave them in sleep all the time??
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by 666

no need to shutdown? ever? i'm getting my first powerbook on monday, you can leave them in sleep all the time??

Yes. Yes you can. i never shutdown except when an app requests it. enjoy your powerbook!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    meecesmeeces Posts: 160member
    Yeah, I was talking about auto-start. Good to hear it will come back. I was thinking I could turn my powerbook into an alarm clock for the road if I could set up a start time and get maybe iTunes to start playing, or maybe work it through iCal. On the login items, can that happen even when waking from sleep? As in, why set something up under login under system prefs if I only sleep the computer and not turn it off and the computer has to start from shut down to trigger login items?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    spykyspyky Posts: 55member
    Concerning the "whistling" noise: I have that on my new 15". It seems to be the hard drive, and yes, it only occurs with Safari on particular websites. Obviously it has to do with the way in which the hard drive is reading and writing data in a particular pattern that is loud. I'm kind of wondering if maybe Panther will "fix" the problem, since it will change the way the disk operates (journalling and such). I guess I'll know in 9 days :-) Also, different builds of safari may have some effect.

I have the 4200RPM drive, I didn't upgrade because I wanted it to be quiet :-) Oh well.

-Spyky
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I never turn any of my macs off ever, they only reboot for installs/upgrades. In over 2 years of X-usage I've only ever had one crash, when I ejected a PCMCIA card adapter from an old TiBook's slot without unmounting the drive. I am, officially, the luckiest mac owner in the world

Enjoy your PB, oh and get a nice slipcase from http://www.sfbags.com, they're great.