OEM 9800 Pro

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Does the OEM 9800 Pro coming from Apple have a fan on it? I installed the retail version of the card which does, and it is by far the loudest noise coming from my machine now (the 2X2 is amazingly quiet). With the 9600 the machine was quiet as a mouse.

It doesn't seem like there are any different speeds for the fan on the card - it is just always "on". That's really a shame because I am sure it doesn't always need to be. I am really happy with the card - FSAA and anisotropic filter settings per app is teh b{}Mb!@! - but it would be nice if I could shut the damn fan off when I wasn't fragging.

Just curious...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    coolmaccoolmac Posts: 259member
    Yes it does.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Did you know that on the OEM, card the fan blades are replaced by little magic wands.

When they spin, tiny green and purple gnomes manafest and do there "thang" to cool the card.

It is crazy shit I tell you!

Oh wait... maybe that was a dream...
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I just received my dual 2 Ghz G5 with the OEM 9800 Pro card. The fan on the card really is very noticable and kind of annoying. Not so much the volume of the noise, but the pitch. I looked around a while to see if this was normal and to see if there was anything I could do, and I came across the link below. What do you think? Would this work? Is there any chance of this fitting in the G5s case?

http://www.buildsilentpc.com/silent_video_card.php

I might try it out. Let me know if you are interested and I'll let you know if it works or not.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Deitch

I just received my dual 2 Ghz G5 with the OEM 9800 Pro card. The fan on the card really is very noticable and kind of annoying. Not so much the volume of the noise, but the pitch. I looked around a while to see if this was normal and to see if there was anything I could do, and I came across the link below. What do you think? Would this work? Is there any chance of this fitting in the G5s case?

http://www.buildsilentpc.com/silent_video_card.php

I might try it out. Let me know if you are interested and I'll let you know if it works or not.

Hmm that is interesting - I would definitely be interested in getting one of those if it worked since they are so cheap. The problem I see is the size of that thing - the AGP slot in the G5 is like a centimeter from a 'wall' separating that compartment from the one with the processors. I can't imagine that beast would squeeze on there...

If you try it definitely let me know what happens (I didn't look too hard for dimensions on the site - it would be useful to know if it will fit before ordering it...)
  • Reply 5 of 7
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

Did you know that on the OEM, card the fan blades are replaced by little magic wands.

When they spin, tiny green and purple gnomes manafest and do there "thang" to cool the card.

It is crazy shit I tell you!

Oh wait... maybe that was a dream...

• Reply 6 of 7
    After posting my last message I looked I cracked open my case and looked inside. I am pretty sure there is no way that would fit on the card in there. The AGP card is really close to that metal divider plate above the G5 heatsinks. Also, that plastic air deflector plate looks to be too close to the card.

Also, I noticed on the Zalman website, it says it is bad to have the AGP slot over the CPU.

http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/product/ZM80C-HP.htm

Any idea why this might be? I figure it doen't really matter in the G5 since it has separate thermal zones, but it is something I noticed.

I saw some other options for cooling the 9800. Some look a little sketchy though. If I find anything that looks promising I will let you know.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Deitch

Any idea why this might be? I figure it doen't really matter in the G5 since it has separate thermal zones, but it is something I noticed.

I would imagine that is because of the heat issues. Typically the CPUs are giving off a lot of heat, and with this thing you are replacing an active cooling system with a passive one. With the AGP slot above the CPU(s) you now have to deal with heat from both and this thing is probably only good enough to deal with the heat directly put off by the vid card... But like you said the G5 the zones are completely independent so that probably wouldn't matter...

Even if you could fit that thing in there, the way the G5 is set up with the AGP card horizontal I would think it might put stress on the card which might end up being a problem? More of a mental exercise since it really doesn't look like it would fit anyway...