New powerbooks g5 soon?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I am starting to hear people talking about g5 pbs at macworld jan 6th. I am purchassing a new pb, but get a bit affraid by such rumors. But no way they ll put a g5 in the books, or?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Who are these "people" and where did you see/read this?

Didn't Jobs himself come out and say a few weeks ago not to look for G5-based portables until "late 2004" or something like that?

They just went 8-10 months with no updates to the line...do we really think they're going to roll out these new models in Paris for only a 4-month life cycle?

I've maintained all along that the absolute EARLIEST we'll see a G5 PowerBook is next summer sometime. If only for reasons that they can still squeeze some life/juice from the G4 and the current enclosure design.

However, I bet by spring/summer 2004, PowerBook sales will drastically plummet because everyone who's thinking of buying one knows (or think they know) that a G5 PowerBook is "just around the corner".

It'll be a long, hot, dry summer next year. Not one PowerBook will be sold from June 1 on...

• Reply 2 of 18
    sopphodesopphode Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by neo79

I am starting to hear people talking about g5 pbs at macworld jan 6th. I am purchassing a new pb, but get a bit affraid by such rumors. But no way they ll put a g5 in the books, or?

No Powerbook G5 before 18 months. Now is a great time to buy a PB, since they have just been updated.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    neo79neo79 Posts: 5member
    Thats what I wanna hear. What I meant was rumors. Now I ll have to decide which pb to go for. The 17" or 15"?
  • Reply 4 of 18
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    After finally seeing the new 15" in person, I'd have to vote for that one, neo79. The screen and resolution are plenty big and roomy, but the machine itself still feels tight and compact. An optical illusion of some sort.

To me, it's a perfect case of something being "just right": not to little (12") and not too big (17").

Seeing all three beside each other last weekend really made my decision easy!
  • Reply 5 of 18
    3.14163.1416 Posts: 120member
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

I've been wondering why they did go all that time without an update.

Most likely Motorola's delays with the 7447.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    I think that there's a case to be made that Apple will use the three AlBooks to phase in the G5 to the portable arena.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a G5-powered BigAl announced at Tokyo or at a special announcement around NAB or NAMM next year, with shipments in July 04.

That way Apple get the real bragging rights to the "fastest" laptop on the planet, even if its in a form factor that only appeals to a unbelievably small marketplace. The reason this makes sense is that the AlBook is a natural home for the 0.09 G5, but Apple have to be sure that it can be produced in volume at high enough clock speeds, before releasing it into the volume markets represented by Al or LittleAl.

You could then look forward to a 15" being announced at Paris in 04, for shipment for the holiday season, and LittleAl would get a low-voltage low-clock G5 at the same time or in the window between MWSF 05 and MWTK 05.

On a related topic, having finally seen a BigAl in the metal, I have to say I'm stunned that people carry that thing around - although against its alleged Toshiba competitor, it's positively anorexic.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

After finally seeing the new 15" in person, I'd have to vote for that one, neo79. The screen and resolution are plenty big and roomy, but the machine itself still feels tight and compact. An optical illusion of some sort.

To me, it's a perfect case of something being "just right": not to little (12") and not too big (17").

Seeing all three beside each other last weekend really made my decision easy!

pscates, for a second or two as i was taking my new 15" PB out of the box and putting it on the coffee table I thought Apple had erred and sent me a 17". This wide screen puppy's nice
  • Reply 8 of 18
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Here are some solid reasons why we may actually see the PB G5 either in January or late spring.

1 Motorola spun off thier semi business. If nothing else Apple will have to secure the product line. You might see only one high end portable with the 970, the G4 would cary the balance of the line until supplies dry up.

2 Apple will have to be realistic about the PB line, sales will dry up if the public thinks an introduction likely. Apple could very well intro a G5 laptop early, as a surprise, to prevent the erosion of sales when the thoughts of a G5 laptop become largely believed.

3. Such a laptop would place Apple at the forfront of technology. This is a feather that is badly needed in their cap.

4 As good as the current G4 laptops are, and they really are good machines, they do have to compete agaisnt a new crop of intel hardware. The Centrino and its follow on are serious hardware that can impact Apple sales. A g5 could make up the peformance gap though it would trade battery peformnance.

Dave

Quote:

Originally posted by neo79

• Reply 9 of 18
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    This thread is missing the "(" at the end of it. Tiger Tiger Woods ya'll!
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Week 1:

Jon Rubinstein says a G5 PowerBook was simply ?an issue of good, solid engineering? and a cooler-running version of the processor would be needed for a PowerBook.

Week 2:

Steve Jobs says they would like to have a PowerBook G5 by the end of 2004.

Week3:

IBM is sampling these cooler-running chips to Apple now and hopes to be shipping in quantity by the end of Novemeber 2003, well ahead of schedule.

Hmmmmm...
  • Reply 11 of 18
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

This thread is missing the "(" at the end of it. Tiger Tiger Woods ya'll!

Am i the only one who thinks there will be one more (minor) g4 upgrade for the powerbooks?

Similar to the latest iBook updates, maybe 100ish mhz more to each model. No other changes other than a faster processor.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cosmo

Am i the only one who thinks there will be one more (minor) g4 upgrade for the powerbooks?

Similar to the latest iBook updates, maybe 100ish mhz more to each model. No other changes other than a faster processor.

The thing is, I haven't heard a peep about any new G4 processors since the G5 came out. It seems that 1.33Mhz is it for laptops and 1.42 Ghz is it for desktops. Has anyone heard anything? Does this call for a new topic? Hmmmmm...
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cosmo

MacOSRumors seems to think you're right:

"Next Powerbooks to still be G4s, with 200MHz FSB? Apple is apparently preparing for the strong possibility that it will not have its Powerbook G5 design complete in time for the next regularly scheduled revision (March would follow Apple's historical five-month average for updates, ignoring this year's huge gap in Powerbook updates, nine months for the Aluminum models and even more for the 15-inch), and is working to develop an updated system controller that could enable the unofficial 200MHz frontside bus support included in the PowerPC 7447/7457 processors currently used in the Powerbook family.

Although Motorola's finalized documentation for the 74x7 family denotes a 167MHz maximum FSB clock, earlier pre-release documents for the processors included mention of 200MHz FSB support. Apple sources have repeatedly confirmed that this support still exists, and that if the G5 cannot be shoehorned into an ultrathin laptop in time for the March-April timeframe, we will most likely see PBG4s at 1.2, 1.3, and 1.4GHz using DDR400 memory (200MHz clock)."

I hope they are wrong and in the spring we will get G5 Powerbooks (isn't IBM already sampling low power chips?).
  • Reply 14 of 18
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macmike

"Next Powerbooks to still be G4s, with 200MHz FSB? Apple is apparently preparing for the strong possibility that it will not have its Powerbook G5 design complete in time for the next regularly scheduled revision (March would follow Apple's historical five-month average for updates, ignoring this year's huge gap in Powerbook updates, nine months for the Aluminum models and even more for the 15-inch)

powerbook G3 wallstreet: march-august 1998, 233no L2-292Mhz. 66-84Mhz bus = 5 months

powerbook G3rev2, PDQ: august 1998-may 1999, 233-300Mhz. 66Mhz bus = 9 months

powerbook G3 lombard: may 1999-februari 2000, 333-400Mhz. 66Mhz bus = 9 months

powerbook G3 pismo: februari 2000-januari 2001, 400-500Mhz. 100Mhz bus = 11 months

(rev b. with bigger harddrives in september 2000)

powerbook G4 titanium: januari-october 2001, 400-500Mhz. 100Mhz bus = 9 months

powerbook G4 titanium, gigabit ethernet: october 2001-april 2002, 550-667Mhz. 100Mhz-133Mhz bus = 6 months

powerbook G4 titanium, DVI: april-november 2002, 667-800Mhz. 133Mhz bus = 7 months...

7 models in 56 months from which 1 to streamline production (G3rev2) is a avarage product upgrade cycle of 8 months (all numbers from apple-history.com)

i think they're ignoring facts, not gaps

Quote:

I hope they are wrong and in the spring we will get G5 Powerbooks (isn't IBM already sampling low power chips?).

me to, but i am very sceptical.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by macmike

Then he must be wrong.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I consider Mac OS Rumors a site with creative thinking. They are so far removed from the reality that is Apple, they wouldn't know what it was if it hit them in the face. The last memorable time this happened, when they said 10.2.8 would be released in about 10 days, when, in fact, it was released the night of the story being published. They're guessers. That's all.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Exactly! They even said in their last update that they "aren't sure on the exact date of iTMS windows" would be when apple has told the entire world when it will be!