QPS 24x FW CD-RW drive works in iTunes?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey all,

I have a question about the 24x QPS FireWire CD-RW drive. I've seen it recommended on a few Mac boards (and I think here...), but it's not on the iTunes compatibility list.

Anyone get their 24x QPS burner to work under iTunes? I'm thinking of picking one up for $179, but I don't think I will if I can't burn in iTunes with it.

I'd usually just dismiss it with it not being on Apple's list, but I swear I've seen people bragging about this drive...

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Why don't you use Toast instead of iTunes?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I do use Toast for all of my data burns - but for music CDs, it's just so much easier to make a playlist in iTunes 2 and click "burn".

I guess I can just drag the MP3s in the list into the Toast window, but.... just nicer to keep it in iTunes, ya know?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>II guess I can just drag the MP3s in the list into the Toast window, but.... just nicer to keep it in iTunes, ya know?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, I guess you're right. Before iTunes 2 came out I always used Toast because it took forever to prepare the tracks in iTunes. I know in iTunes 2 it doesn't do that anymore but I'm just used to Toast now.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I've been highly considering getting a cd-rw drive for my iMac. But I'm also considering getting a new tower after MWSF.

would it be best to get a cheap 16x FW cd-rw drive now, a more expensive 24 or 32x cd-rw drive. OR just wait and if I get a tower, get an internal burner?

what do you guys think?

is that 32x burner really worth it? a full cd in like what? 2 minutes?

compared to 6 minutes on a 16x burner

hrmmmm

tough choice 2 minutes is so little time

maybe I should just wait till Dvd audio is adapted more, and then I could get a dvd-r

and is there a dvd-r that records at plus 2x? out there?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    If I was getting a burner right now I think I'd get a 24x. You can find a lot of them for $199 or a little more and you get a really fast burner.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    revsrevs Posts: 93member
    I have the Que QPS FW 12x10x24x writer, it works perfectly with iTunes and OS X Disk Burner etc....
  • Reply 7 of 10
    The QPS Que! Fire 24x10x40 does not work in iTunes. It does work in the Finder, at least for HFS+/ISO CDs, but I haven't been able to erase CD-RWs. I've submitted a bug to Apple with the drive mechanism, etc, so hopefully it'll work in the future.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I can recommend checking out the Drive Compatibility Database at XLR8yourmac.com. The link is here:

<a href="http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drivedb/search.drivedb.lasso"; target="_blank">http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drivedb/search.drivedb.lasso</A>;

It is excellent for answering all of these types of queries.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Thanks Hewligan!
  • Reply 10 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by RevEvs:

<strong>I have the Que QPS FW 12x10x24x writer, it works perfectly with iTunes and OS X Disk Burner etc....</strong><hr></blockquote>

Funny, I have the same drive, and it is a piece of junk. So if QPS' tech serivce. My computer freezes everytime I burn a CD. I am selling it an getting a new, different model drive.