Benefit from my unhappiness

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well after six months of hassles with Apple Care support, they finally took back my 800 mhz iBook due to its never ending appetite for power adapters and batteries. This experience has left me with a sour taste in my mouth as a new apple customer due to my unsatisfactory dealings with the support department. I have thus decided to leave apple for the time being, and I am offering my system to you guys first since this community helped me out it in my apple journey.

It is a BRAND NEW 12" 900 mhz ibook that just came today. I only turned it on to verify the memory, airport card and screen were all in good working order - which they are. The screen is flawless. The specs are as follows:

900 mhz G3 (no kidding!)

640MB Ram

40 GB hard drive

Combo Drive (dvd/cdrw)

Airport Card

12" model

and everything else that is standard with the ibook line.

It comes with a 1 year warranty and you can get the extended apple warranty within that period.

I will also include my apple pro keyboard (usb) and my timbuk2 laptop sleeve and both types of external video connectors (s-video/composite and VGA). All said and done I put over $1900 US into it, the system today would run $1650 US from apple. I would like to see $1450 US for it but any serious offers will be considered, if you are interested lets talk.

All items are in superb condition and I took care of everything. The ibook, again, is brand new and has no cosmetic flaws and everything else seems to be working perfectly.

Thanks,

Greeneggsaregood

aim/ichat - greeneggsaregood

I forgot if I get 1450 ill pay for shipping. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    pensievepensieve Posts: 661member
    Don't do it. Don't leave. With Panther coming, you'll regret it. You're looking at taking a $450 hit if you sell at your price. Is it worth it?

That said, i can understand your position. I'd feel burned too, but your situation sounds like an aberration. Give it another chance. At least for a little while. You're not going to lose too much more if you wait a couple months to sell.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    YOU'LL LIVE TO REGRET THIS!!!

• Reply 3 of 14
    Umm... I will offer $50 CDN for it.

Why not give it another try... the iBook is new and might not have any problems. If the iBook acts up sell it on eBay. It is a good notebook and you will be happy with it once it proves itself.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

YOU'LL LIVE TO REGRET THIS!!!

hey i am at the point where i would rather cut my losses now and if someone wants to help me that would be greatly appreciated.

In response to the panther comment...i dont think i want to put another $130 into this investment. Understand i am upset with the company and my experiences with them, not the computer/software.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Not to rain on your parade but I bought a brand new 12inch 900MHz G3 iBook with combo drive and the extra RAM for 1295.00
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

Not to rain on your parade but I bought a brand new 12inch 900MHz G3 iBook with combo drive and the extra RAM for 1295.00

Thats why I said any serious offers would be considered, apparently I got just as burned going into apple as I am coming out.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Dude..don't do it!

Granted it sounds like you had some bad dealings with AppleCare. I'm going through some issues with my PB concerning AppleCare (waiting on hardware test CD) but they have hooked me up!

What I would have done (and did concerning waiting for 10.2 CD's from AppleCare which are on back order) is complained to Customer Relations. This is the way I got a free copy of 10.3 being shipped to me when it's released.

Seriously, don't give it up....live and learn and drive on!
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by OSXaddict

Dude..don't do it!

Granted it sounds like you had some bad dealings with AppleCare. I'm going through some issues with my PB concerning AppleCare (waiting on hardware test CD) but they have hooked me up!

What I would have done (and did concerning waiting for 10.2 CD's from AppleCare which are on back order) is complained to Customer Relations. This is the way I got a free copy of 10.3 being shipped to me when it's released.

Seriously, don't give it up....live and learn and drive on!

I appreciate the advice and it sounds like you are having better luck. But this has taken entirely too much time, working with apple care has left me insulted and hardpressed to put any more money into them. I can not complain about the computer (aside from my now resolved issues) but i dont want to have to ever work with apple in regards to support again. I have put more money into my apple endeavor than i have gotten out of it and i am ready for something new. My bundled offer still stands if someone is interested.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    DAMMIT I'M TIRED OF MY LEFT ARM! I KEEP PULLING MY BICEP AND IT REFUSES TO HEAL! WELL, NOW AFTER A YEAR OF REST, REHAB, AND PROPER CONDITIONING, IT WORKS!! YAY! BUT I'M SO SICK OF IT I'M GOING TO CUT IT OFF! I WILL SELL IT AT A LOSS BECAUSE I'M SOOOOO TIRED OF IT!

dork.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

DAMMIT I'M TIRED OF MY LEFT ARM! I KEEP PULLING MY BICEP AND IT REFUSES TO HEAL! WELL, NOW AFTER A YEAR OF REST, REHAB, AND PROPER CONDITIONING, IT WORKS!! YAY! BUT I'M SO SICK OF IT I'M GOING TO CUT IT OFF! I WILL SELL IT AT A LOSS BECAUSE I'M SOOOOO TIRED OF IT!

I'll give ya $5 bucks + shipping
  • Reply 11 of 14
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Why can't the guy sell his iBook without getting flak?

greeneggsaregood, I would suggest trying www.ebay.com or your local www.craigslist.com

Save yourself the public stoning.

Or, just lie the next time and say "I need money to buy a G5, so I'm selling my iBook". It's no one's business why you are selling it, unless you wanted to hear a discussion on the pros and cons of leaving or staying. We aren't a cult, honest.

<this space is intentionally missing any argument to dissuade you from selling the iBook, or my opinion on the matter, since you didn't ask for it>
  • Reply 12 of 14
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    I will say most computers depreciate instantly. One reason I tend to just pass my old computers off for free to family or friends, I get more satisfaction from that than the paultry amount I'd get.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Willoughby

I'll give ya $5 bucks + shipping

Nope. By cheap I meant for more money than it or a brand new one is worth. Sorry for the confusion.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by greeneggsaregood

Well after six months of hassles with Apple Care support, they finally took back my 800 mhz iBook.....

It is a BRAND NEW 12" 900 mhz ibook that just came today....

900 mhz G3 (no kidding!)

640MB Ram

40 GB hard drive

Combo Drive (dvd/cdrw)

Airport Card

12" model

and everything else that is standard with the ibook line.

Thanks,

Greeneggsaregood

I must be missing something here. Granted "SIX MONTHS of HASSLES" is excessive, but Apple replaced an older model 800MHz iBook with a "NEW" 900MHz iBook. I can't explain the long delays in getting satisfaction, but come on, Apple did right by you, albeit eventually.

Anyway, good luck on whatever happens.