Feature Suggestions?

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
I've recently added News Comments, print pages, Email story to a friend, submission forms, and what not.

Please let me know what other features (the more original the better) you guys would like to see implimented at AppleInsider to enhance the news, community and so forth.

Thanks

Kasper Jade

EIC - AppleInsider.com

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    you could rad my post about the navigation...

I would post a link but..... ( beer > AI )
  • Reply 2 of 14
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Its not really a feature, but could you make the nav bar at the top the same for both the forums and the front page? Its annoying to try and get to the forums by clicking on Home instead.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

Its not really a feature, but could you make the nav bar at the top the same for both the forums and the front page? Its annoying to try and get to the forums by clicking on Home instead.

I had changed it so that when you clicked on the large AppleInsider logo in the upper left hand corner it would take you to the home page. It seems one of the moderators changed it back...

Jon, Brad, Amorph, please change this back.

Thanks,

-Kasper
  • Reply 4 of 14
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    You can get to the "News" forum from the pop-up menu, but it doesn't appear as one of the direct links at the bottom of the page.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kasper

I had changed it so that when you clicked on the large AppleInsider logo in the upper left hand corner it would take you to the home page. It seems one of the moderators changed it back...

Jon, Brad, Amorph, please change this back.

Thanks,

-Kasper

I don't like it like that. The logo should remain linking to the forum index.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Well Kasper,

To be honest I like Appleinsider much the way it is...except...........

I truly wish that members ( perhaps limited to seniors ) could upload jpg images of their art work etc to the forum pages..

Not everyone has access to Mac.com or a web storage page...and as Ai provides an "anonymous email " function...( which I presume ) has attachment ( jpeg) uploading...then why not extend that opportunity to us lesser webless mortals..

I appreciate Jpeg size limits would have to be imposed etc..but most have a photoshop prog that can cut images down to size b4 posting...

Could even work through the "image" control of Vb code ?

Alternatively, how about creating a link access to an (appleinsider) Mac.com homepage for all senior members to load images into the forums...
  • Reply 7 of 14
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Can i get the feature where you can stab people you don't like through their monitors?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Activate upload function...Jpegs...to forum pages...

as per this crew :

http://www.baseboard.net/gallery/

Note : they use vb Code for their forums.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Can i get the feature where you can stab people you don't like through their monitors?

ummm ok...

• Reply 10 of 14
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

as per this crew :

http://www.baseboard.net/gallery/

Note : they use vb Code for their forums.

That's pretty taxing on server resources, especially with 12000-or-what-was-it members.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

Not going to happen for regular users any time soon.

On our practically nonexistent income from banners, we cannot afford the vast resources that would be demanded in both additional hard drive space and additional bandwidth usage.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    An "X active members" statistic, where X is the number of members posted within the last 14 days.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

That's pretty taxing on server resources, especially with 12000-or-what-was-it members.

Yer Thunk ?

According to BaseBoard :

4,592 registered users ..about a third of Ai

82,991 posts

Using 230 MB of Disk Space

( Including all Images )

Yeah..BIG taxing effect on server resources...

As regards 12000 Ai members..

A sizeable chunk would be zeroed if the " X " factor that Anders was suggesting was put into effect.

Baseboard also gives each member an upper limit of image upload...
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kasper

I've recently added News Comments, print pages, Email story to a friend, submission forms, and what not.

Please let me know what other features (the more original the better) you guys would like to see implimented at AppleInsider to enhance the news, community and so forth.

Thanks

Kasper Jade

EIC - AppleInsider.com

About thread bumping

Every thread ought to show the date it was started so we know what we are going to get when we look at the first page. (Instead of only seeing the date of the last post).