Guess the next "X"...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
...and win a prize!

When OS X first came out, the logo/packaging that accompanied it was blue and looked like candy and seemed to sit well with where Apple was at the time (the colored, curvy iStuff). That big blue X set a tone and defined a "look" (for Apple AND quite a few others) for several years.

Then came Jaguar. Uh, yeah. The spotted coat. Ties in with the animal (so much so, in fact, that I would've bet a lung that the Panther "X" would be covered in black fur).

So as we all know, we're on to Panther now and it's cool, bold/blocky "aluminated" X, calling to mind the Finder, Safari, the G5, PowerBooks and the iSight.

They've all looked cool. They've all sparked a small revolution in desktops at macdesktops.com (go look if you don't believe me).

So a year from now, when Panther 10.3 is old hat and "been there, done that...now what, Apple?", we'll all be gearing up for 10.4 (Calico? Lion? Roy's Tiger?), what do you imagine the look for it being? I'm curious to see what others think, this far out. Remember how absolutely cool it was to see that big blue gel-like "X" for the first time? I thought it was GORGEOUS and would sit and study it for minutes at a time. Just when we were getting sick of it, here comes Jaguar.

"FUR?!?! Are you KIDDING me?"

But we came to dig it, of course. And when we all thought "okay, Panther...black fur", they TOTALLY go in another direction. We zig, Apple zags. Very cool. So, any guesses? A year from now, what's going to be on Apple's front page and promo material, hyping 10.4?

I shall go on record and say this: it'll be a script or handwritten treatment. And it'll have some sort of texture or surface to it that NO ONE will have predicted or expected. It might even tie in with a cool, hallmark technology or feature slated for 10.4. I'm thinking that perhaps this handwritten/Inkwell thing will be a centerpiece of of 10.4, hence the scrawled "X" (see, I put some thought behind it)

We've had a plastic serif. We've had a fur-covered serif. We've had a heavy-duty slab face. I say we have a ink-laced script/handwritten "X" next time out...

Someone tag this thread and check it out next year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Ice

• Reply 2 of 15
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Depends on the codename I guess. I'll go with a brushed metal look box with a matte black X.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Well I say the next codename will be "Kitty Kat." The logo will be the "X" but with the image of a clawed couch on it. Features will include eyes on the desktop that glare at you ever so often, a paw that pops up and follows the mouse pointer, random "meowing," endless taunting, and when you are typing an important document, a "kitty keys" feature that simulates a cat laying on your keyboard. Comes with free Digital litter box.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member

• Reply 5 of 15
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

Ice

That's what I think, something that is very glassy or ice-like
  • Reply 6 of 15
  • Reply 7 of 15
    My question is how many "X's" are there until we get to XI? 7 went to 7.5, 8 to 8.5, and 9 to 9.2. Where is OSXI? I think the next X will be Tiger and the final one will be Lion...king of the Jungle.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    for those who find current Apple designs too feminine...

maybe it'll be Y

OS XI would have to be codenamed Tufnel
  • Reply 9 of 15
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

• Reply 11 of 15
  • Reply 12 of 15
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    eugene, ofg, thats sadly hilllllllarious!!!!!!
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Eugene is going straight to hell.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

What font is that?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Edwardian Script. I guess it's an OS X default font because I did this last night and didn't want to fool with launching FontAgent Pro and going through my tons of script fonts.

I just grabbed something quick from the already-on system fonts in my Illustrator menu.