Freaky iPod problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey, I have a Gen 1 ipod, which has been doing something I haven't found described anywhere else yet. (Please forgive me if I just haven't looked long enough.) I woke up one morning and tuned it on and for some reason it went through the boot up process (even though it had just been asleep the night before), but it refuses to boot all the way up. Instead, the apple appears for a while, then the ipod produces a clicking noise like I have restarted it, the apple disappears, it reappears, and the process starts all over again. I have drained the battery all the way down and tried plugging it in again, but it just does the same thing. If anybody knows how to fix this, you will be my hero forever. Do I really have to go through saving up all that money again to get one, because that will just suck.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Does this mean my iPod is dead and it is a lost cause?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Does firewire disk mode work? Mine did something like that (about 4 restarts) and appeared when I plugged it into my computer. If it does work, MAKE A BACKUP QUICK! Pretty much the nly thing that helped mine was a reformat.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Mine won't let me do a restart. I am sad.

I called Apple today, as I was being connected I lost my signal, I was so frustrated I just went back to work.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    tzizzle,

Have you tried resetting it yet?

Hold the Play/Pause button and the Menu button down at the same time until the Apple logo appears.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I have tried to restart it, but it doesn't do anything. I have also drained the battery all the way down, but as soon as I plug it into the comp again, it does it again