Is your spouse/sig other, smarter than you?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Can a relationship succeed if two people have completely different educational backgrounds. It could be as simple as one having an Arts major and the other having an engineering degree. It might even be as drastic as one having a PHD while the other has a community college diploma.

Sure the two may share a physical bond but will there eventually be some sort of elitist attitude or inferiority complex that will show it's ugliness in this kind of relationship?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Will there eventually be some sort of elitist attitude or inferiority complex that will show it's ugliness in this kind of relationship?

No.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    My wife went to Oxford University for Writing.

I went to a small university for Computer Science.

She is very right brained, creative, artist. I'm left brained, logical and not nearly as creative. Yet we go together like 2 peas in a pod

I guess opposites attract.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Yes and no. It really depends on the situation and the people involved. Ultimately, it comes down to respect. If your wife has a PHD and you don't, who cares if you love and respect each other? My wife went to several years of college while I placed my bets in the arts/cinema. My wife is an intellectual problem solver and I'm an emotional artist. I have tremendous respect for her ability to solve the most intricate of problems while she is constantly amazed at my ability to create.

My father, on the other hand, believes that if one person has a degree and the other doesn't that eventually the degreed person will hold it over the other. I can't argue against this because I've seen it happen. But, I can easily explain why because those two individuals didn't respect the talents/intelligence of one another.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Northgate

Yes and no. It really depends on the situation and the people involved. Ultimately, it comes down to respect. If your wife has a PHD and you don't, who cares if you love and respect each other? My wife went to several years of college while I placed my bets in the arts/cinema. My wife is an intellectual problem solver and I'm an emotional artist. I have tremendous respect for her ability to solve the most intricate of problems while she is constantly amazed at my ability to create.

My father, on the other hand, believes that if one person has a degree and the other doesn't that eventually the degreed person will hold it over the other. I can't argue against this because I've seen it happen. But, I can easily explain why because those two individuals didn't respect the talents/intelligence of one another.

Good post. It works at the condition that the two people respect the other and also respect themselves. If one think he is superior or inferior to the other, then the problems are coming.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Luckily for me, my current girlfriend is kinda of...well, let's just say she's not too well schooled.

But she's bright and seems to hold her own at dinner parties.

I'm no rocket scientist myself, so we seem to make a decent pair. I posed this question because...well, I've always been attracted to intelligent women (especially if they have foreign accents).

But alas, my inferiority complex tells me I've got no right to even try to court them.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I can't deal with dumb girls, and I have pretty high standards in this respect. I've determined that it's pretty hard to find a chick with a strong intelligence and a well-rounded education that doesn't look like sin. Why? I know plenty of what I'd consider to be good looking men who are intellectually gifted and very knowledgeable on a variety of topics.

Anyway, this post is a little close to the heart, but the hypothesis stands. My take: Pretty girls are not encouraged as much in our present society to pursue intellectual goals, and in their developmental years they end up wasting their youths with scum fed to them by brilliant marketing from the pop-culture conglomerates.

Curses!
  • Reply 7 of 11
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Pretty girls are not encouraged as much in our present society to pursue intellectual goals, and in their developmental years they end up wasting their youths with scum fed to them by brilliant marketing from the pop-culture conglomerates.

Yeah, but can you blame them? Why slave over hours of studying to get your bachelor of psychology and never find a job, when you can make ten times the money being a Budweiser girl.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    regarding the good looking girl->poor education.

At my current work place there i nothing but good looking girls ("right" measures, hip clothes and all that) and its a neoclassic post IT burst office enviroment (young people, relatie high pay, good career possibilities within the firm but low outside and low education). So here the good looking-> poor education AND good job applies. The good looking->good job within ones abilities is proven a lot of times. Even the CEO of manpower here in Denmark admitted it in a interview a couple of month ago.

But you have to disginuis between good looking and beautiful. I only meet beautiful women through at uni and in higher educated circles. The categories "good looking" and "beautiful" are like two different species even if they are roughly the same age. In fact the most beatiful woman I have ever met is also one of the most intelligent and with whom I have had the best discussions with (even if we disagree on a lot of issues)...

Hmm. Guess its time to sob again...
  • Reply 9 of 11
    When she whips out her whip, I choose to keep quiet and obey.