"Cuba sera pronta libre"

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Nice to know. Mr. Bush plans to once more tighten the iron grip the US (imo) illegally holds over Cuba. And he throws in that spanglish little line (cf. title). Color me Belgian, but isn't that gramatically challenged Spanish?

Yes folks, it's the Cuba issue. Political analysts say it's Bush attempt at wooing the Cuban community down in Miami. I'm not saying I wouldn't do the same if I were given the task of wooing that clout, but is he not being contraproductive here. Also, I hope some sociolinguist will one day study the remarkable use of the word dictator, and the ominous phrase: "Cuba will soon be free."

What's the guy with the freakishly close eyes trying to say here? That he's finally gonna release those poor wedding party guests that got shipped to Guantanamo Bay by accident? That would be some freedom. Or maybe they're being brainwashed into mean killing machines, eager to give their lives in the name of George W. Allah. Could it be Dubya is to set the blokes free on the streets of Havana.

In any case, tourism to the pearl in the bay of pigs will be made illegal (I thought it was already??), so go there will still you can.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Color me a double poster too, will you're at it.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    I'm trying to work out how the cause of liberty is helped by denying people freedom to travel to another country.

America to Cuba I mean.

• Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

I'm trying to work out how the cause of liberty is helped by denying people freedom to travel to another country.

America to Cuba I mean.

Well, if there's one thing we should've learned, it'd be that freedom comes second. All Americans have to concede something if they're to win this war against te-ro-rizzzm, you know.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Weird. And yeah, it should be "Cuba será Libre Pronto". How many times do you think he rehearsed that line and still got it wrong?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Looks like junior is fishing for votes and another potential distraction.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    The Cuban Miami organized crime cartels/mafia are obviously leaning heavily on Jeb, and he's in turn leaning on Dubya, who desperately needs the distraction, *any* distraction. Cuba is an easy target...its small...its close...it's communist.

This is nothing to do with communism or human rights abuses, just like the war against Iraq was nothing to do with Saddam's appalling human rights record. "Human rights" are a nice, warm, cozy, moral blanket to cover up the real motivations with some pretence at decency and compliance with international law. China is big, powerful, distant, and communist. But they are one of the US biggest trading partners with MFN trading status (granted under Clinton, sustained under Bush). If your big, powerful and brutal, communism is just fine. If you're small and militarily insignificant, and communist...look out.

BushCorp's foreign policies are an dangerously amplified version of the cowardly school playground bully syndrome...only pick on the weak guy and stomp him....and cozy up to the real brutes.

The message from Bush to those he despises could easily be read as:

"arm yourself to the teeth...or be attacked".
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

Well, if there's one thing we should've learned, it'd be that freedom comes second. All Americans have to concede something if they're to win this war against te-ro-rizzzm, you know.

In the name of freedom huh? We're losing ours hand over fist and nobody's speaking out, probably because they don't dare to. All it takes now is to voice an opinion against the Bush administration's policies. You stand a fair chance of not being allowed to fly anywhere. let alone just Cuba. Just read the Patriot Act and it's follow up, the Victory Act.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

In the name of freedom huh? We're losing ours hand over fist and nobody's speaking out, probably because they don't dare to. ...

Doesn't seem to be effecting you. Or anyone else on the angry left. So what were you saying?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Doesn't seem to be effecting you. Or anyone else on the angry left. So what were you saying?

Personally I havent been affected....yet. But hundreds have been affected, just for exercising their First Amendment right to free speech. I have written a number of published pieces for newspapers and internet sites of an anti-war or anti Bush sentiment, so perhaps I will be added at some point. I really hope not of course, because I have a number of trips planned including one to NYC later this month, another to San Francisco in November, and a trip to the UK to visit a relative during the holiday period in December....and all the airline tickets have been paid for. Angry left you say? I think *you* would be pretty pissed if you were branded as a suspect because you spoke out against the criminal acts or tendencies of a US administration.

Does the First Amendment still apply in America under Bush? Naturally, the links that follows are left leaning...would you honestly expect the conservative-leaning big media to cover this kind of anti-American method? Silly question. As I mentioned in another thread, the political bias of the media is measured by what stories they refuse to cover.

http://www.progressive.org/webex/wxmc042702.html

http://www.inthesetimes.com/issue/27/02/feature3.shtml

I read a link a few weeks back claiming that the FBI's no fly list numbered between 5000 and 8000 people, and was being added to up to 100 people per week.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Which articles? What number?
  • Reply 11 of 15
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Oh good...another thread!
  • Reply 12 of 15
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

How would you know if someone was refusing to speak out?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

Your goverment has just restricted your freedom of movement. It is illegal for you to travel somewhere.

I've been to Cuba. Twice. I can't go back as I was involved in a piece of TV that had ordinary Cubans complaining about their government. In many ways, Fidel is a bad guy and Cuba is not a place I could live. And in many other ways, what you think you know about the place is just wrong.

Of course, you can't see for yourself and make up your own mind, because of restrictions on the freedom of movement of Amercians. The land of the free.

You should be glad there are real US patriots on this board pointing out that bad mojo is happening in your country, baa-lamb.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

I love you too. \