Anyone use a LaCie 500GB Fire Wire 5400 RPM external hard drive?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
And if so, have you had any difficulty storing and retrieving digital video files on it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Slackula

And if so, have you had any difficulty storing and retrieving digital video files on it?

No i just use a 200 GB FW 800 external HD from them, without any problems. Even the speed is awesome (nearly no differences with internal HD).
  • Reply 2 of 7
    400 RPM? I hope not.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Ensign Pulver: OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for pointing that out! It was very late local time when I posted the topic. Too sleepy, I guess. It should have stated 5400 RPM (rather then 400 RPM!)

I've currently got a 160GB 7200 RPM unit which works fine. But it is getting full quickly. I just have the opportunity to get a 5400 RPM, 500GB unit for a very good price. Just seems like I've heard in the past to avoid 5400 RPM units when working with digital video. But I'd really like to get the unit if it would work for me.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

And thanks again, Ensign, for pointing out my error!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    you need 7200rpm for video work.

5400rpm is sufficient for storage of files but not for working on video.

you can store video files on that drive

but it's not fast enough to work on professional video files.

sheesh, i could use 500GIGS of storage.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    I bought a 250GB, 7200RPM, 800 FW drive. Best external drive ever at this price point. Will probably buy two or three more and set it up in a RAID array. Lacie have a seriously good product here.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Title fixed.

I was a bit worried that 400 RPM might be a tad slow for video work, too.

• Reply 7 of 7
    Thanks for the info. And thanks, Murbot, for the title fix!