Anyone here overclocked the 66Mhz sys bus. dual USB ibook?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
i read the article at xcelr8yourmac.com, and i'd read about it on /. before then, but i haven't really heard all that much about it. i'm thinking about upgrading the HD on the iBook i just got, and i figured since i'll have the thing apart anyway, maybe i'll take a look at OC'ing the thing. i guess i just wanted to know how tough this is going to be for someone with very little soldering experiene.

<a href="http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/ibook_2001_overclock/ibook_2001_overclock.html"; target="_blank">Mod article</a>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Unless you have some mad soldering skills I would say replace the HD and leave it at that. One false move and your logic board is history.

Mac Guru
  • Reply 2 of 8
    i know, i know. that's what i keep telling myself. but from what i've heard, you're talking about a 40% increase in performance. maybe i'll ask around and see if any of my friends have hardcore soldering skills. there's got to be something that i know that will know how to do this without ruining the board.

i believe that replacing the HD will void the warrenty anyway, so i'm not worried about that, although if i try to OC it, then i'll probably need the warrenty.

[ 12-26-2001: Message edited by: alcimedes ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I'm hoping to find someone in Toronto who has done this upgrade. I'm willing to take the chance with my iBook on this.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>i believe that replacing the HD will void the warrenty anyway</strong><hr></blockquote>

That is the stupidest thing ever, if it's true.

I asked my Apple reseller and he said it would be fine as long as I didn't damage anything, but I don't know if he really knew what I was asking. I'm going to ask him again.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    [quote]you're talking about a 40% increase in performance.<hr></blockquote>

a 40% increase in bus speed certainly does not mean a 40% increase in performance.

There is a big difference.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    no no, the OC is to take the bus speed from 66Mhz to 100 Mhz, and the processor from 500 Mhz to 600 Mhz.

so you go from a 500 at 66 Mhz, to a 600 at 100 Mhz.

the proc. and bus speed are all faster. in the tests run after the OC, the machine scored approx. 40% better in many areas.

seems worth it, i just have to find someone i would trust to solder my motherboard. he he, that sounded sick.

and i'm 90% sure if you upgrade the HD yourself it voids the warrenty.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    I think changing the HD technically voids the warranty, but there's no way they can tell unless you tell them what you did. So, in practical terms, it doesn't void the warranty.

-robo
  • Reply 8 of 8
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I overclocked my Beige G3 266, both processor and bus speed with great success! However once I added a series of other upgrades I ran into complications in OS 9, but only OS 9. A long story, but basically I was pushing my old HW too much. Conveniently enough, all my problems disapeared once I loaded 10.1 on it. However, previous versions of X (10.0.x) sometimes wouldn't even load (kernal panic on boot).

For me no sotering was neccessary however, so obviously mileage may vary...