OS X Server Pricing vs. Sun Pricing

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I am not familiar with the server market, but have the impression that Apple offers OS X Server at a very attractive price. I just read about Sun's Solaris x86 pricing and it sound very good too, but they take a little different approach. Any knowledgeable folks care to comment? I'd be interested in your replies, but don't have much to offer to this topic except for one off-the-wall idea. Sun is having its problems. I wonder if it would help Sun to use IBM Power series and PowerPCs in place of Sparc?

Here is the pricing, quoted from the article.

"Sun is offering Solaris x86 at a few different prices. . . . customers can buy a one processor license for $99, a two processor license for $250 or a four processor license for $1500."

"Taking the two processor price as an example, Sun is saying it can beat Windows by 13x - 19x on cost of acquisition. Sun pits the $250 unlimited user license against $2,799 for Microsoft Windows Server 2003 or $4,999 for the enterprise edition of the OS."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/61/33338.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Sun is a hardware company; they'll never switch to PowerPC because then they'd have no advantage over IBM.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    The x86-Solaris is not suns core product. Their real market is big iron multi-CPU servers which are not sold by price but by reliability and service offerings.

Apple has nothing to counter suns products here, the XServes are BB guns in comparison.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

The x86-Solaris is not suns core product. Their real market is big iron multi-CPU servers which are not sold by price but by reliability and service offerings.

Heh, yeah...you wonder why Sun software licensing looks pretty good, then you see the hardware prices, which are already better than a couple of years ago.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

Apple has nothing to counter suns products here, the XServes are BB guns in comparison.

For Sun's big iron products, this is true. The particular question was with regards to Solaris on Intel running on say a Dual-Xeon. The Xserves (if they had a G5 version) would be very competitive.