iMac DV & Formac 16x Firewire Burner Problem

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
hi folks I got a serious problem:

I own an iMac DV 400 and an iBook 600 DVD/ CDRW and I´m running Mac OS X 10.1.2 on both machines. I also got an Formac 16x FW Burner but this nasty piece of sh** only works on the iBook! On the same settings and the same programm (Toast 5.1P2) my iMac isn´t able to boot CD of any type. Original Apple Software CDs, Music CD, Burned CDs none of them are mounted on the iMac though it works more than fine on the iBook with the same FW cable, powersource always on, I Can´t understand that. I thank you for every answer...

and having the same X on it means having the same FW drivers? ah and my iMac got it´s latest Apple Firmware patch!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Hey,

I had quite a problem w/the same cd-rw drive that you have on my iMac DV 400. Turned out I had a lemon, but the painful part was that I bought the drive the beginning of August and didn't get it replaced till the middle of December. They were absurdly slow in responding to my complaints. That doesn't really help you with your problem, but I felt the need to chime in w/my current displeasure over formac
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Well my drive has got it´s special story...bought in April I got it with a broken front-plate, send it in re-got it (back) in early July. Then I got serious burn-errors causing 20 different 16x (expensive ones from trademarks!!!) CD-R to die. Sending it in in late July => Came back beginning of September. I didn´t use it for 2 1/2 months and now it doesn´t work on my old machine on which it ran perfectly in October...I´m really upset with my situation which will cause to sell my iMac DV and I´m not very pleased with formac´s support and their hotline which is unreachable (I tried it for 2 weeks every day sometimes 6 to 9 times an hour!) This was my first and last product from this company.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    After all these reports about Formac drives I'm glad I canceled my order with them for a 24x CD-RW drive and decided to go with the Que! drive.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Don't Que drives have problems with osx?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    I thought it was the USB ones. I'm not sure, but it should work with Toast in OS X fine, shouldn't it?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    From this thread, it seems that all of you have had bad experiences with Formac drives. Personally, I have had 2 QPS drives die on me, and then I recently found out that an old USB one I had wouldn;t work with OS X (and hence my old iMac). I got a Formac 24x CDRW, and I love it. The bus-powered burning (only at 12x though) is really useful.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by corvette:

<strong>Don't Que drives have problems with osx?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I got it yesterday and it's been working fine in OS X.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I've got the Freecom Portable CDRW 24x10x40 FireWire version.

This recorder is standard only with PC software, but after installing Toast it works fine under MacOS X.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    hi all, i also have the formac 16x external firewire burner. It works great with toast in X, but it does not work with finder or itunes. the stuffs starts burning but never ends. spoilt disc in other words. otherwise it is a good buy!
  • Reply 10 of 10
    After a little more than a week with the Que! drive, I'm very satisfied. It works great with Toast (doesn't work in iTunes, but I don't use it much to burn CDs).