Amiga? Are they still ALIVE?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
With this, i remember hearing rumors that they were going to start using the G3/G4 MOTO in some of their new systems...which never have seemed to surface.

Apparently, they are no longer making any hardware. Is that movement still in progress, and was it ever going to be able to run the MAC-OS-X? (not legally of course)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Originally posted by willywalloo

With this, i remember hearing rumors that they were going to start using the G3/G4 MOTO in some of their new systems...which never have seemed to surface.

Apparently, they are no longer making any hardware. Is that movement still in progress, and was it ever going to be able to run the MAC-OS-X? (not legally of course)

Amigas had multiple models that used the Motorolla CPUs in the past (for example, the 68040).
  • Reply 2 of 11
    boemaneboemane Posts: 311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by willywalloo

They have something out called the Amiga One. It uses G3 and G4 CPUs up to 700 MHz. Have a look at the Amiga One website: Amiga One

It comes preloaded with LinuxPPC and OS4. I heard there were works on AmigaOS 5, but haven't seen how that project is going lately.

I think the AmigaOne products are made by british EyeTech: http://www.eyetech.co.uk/

Hope that's helpful...

.:BoeManE:.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    eric_zeric_z Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BoeManE

They have something out called the Amiga One. It uses G3 and G4 CPUs up to 700 MHz. Have [/URL]

.:BoeManE:.

They are up to 933Mhz actually.

But if you want an Amiga I'd suggest that you wait untill

the A1-light(scroll down to the September 21, 2003 news) is released Q1 2004,

as it's much nicer specced.

If you want to visit a good communety homepage

take a look at http://www.amigaworld.net

And with regars to OSX, you can run it on them if you are

using MOL, but if you are, you'd better make shure that you

are in a country where the EULA is invalid.

With kind regards from an Amiga hobbyist.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    But why is this under future (official Mac) hardware?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    what universe did this come from?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I don't mean this to be sarcastic, rather, I'm genuienly interested- who uses Amiga computers anymore and for what?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eric_Z

They are up to 933Mhz actually.

But if you want an Amiga I'd suggest that you wait untill

the A1-light(scroll down to the September 21, 2003 news) is released Q1 2004,

as it's much nicer specced.

If you want to visit a good communety homepage

take a look at http://www.amigaworld.net

And with regars to OSX, you can run it on them if you are

using MOL, but if you are, you'd better make shure that you

are in a country where the EULA is invalid.

With kind regards from an Amiga hobbyist.

Man, those little Mini-ITX form factor motherboards are sharp, regardless of brand name and OS.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    This is definitely a General Discussion thread. Be that as it may, I think it is future hardware in question. Let's face it: The G3 and G4 from Motorola are an endangered species. Why they aren't using IBM PPC stuff like Apple blows my mind. Maybe they are going that route, but they have a TON of catching up to do. Apple is becoming really attractive right now to a more broad audience, and they have the potential to increase marketshare as they move forward with the G5. I don't know what footing Amiga will ever get because it is simply too late.

I recall the days of using the Amiga Video Toaster, made by Newtek, which I think was the only viable application on the Amiga platform. Of course there was the Preview Channel (now TV Guide Channel) and Weather Channel Local Forecasts which once used Amigas, but those days have long since past.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

This is definitely a General Discussion thread. Be that as it may, I think it is future hardware in question. Let's face it: The G3 and G4 from Motorola are an endangered species. Why they aren't using IBM PPC stuff like Apple blows my mind.

They are using the IBM 750 Fx (Moto does not make G3s).

And once MAI Logic or Marvell (depending on what Amiga hardware company you look at)

releases there 970 - 980 northbridges you'll see hardware utilising those popping up(Q1 2004-Q2 2004 most likely).

Quote:

Maybe they are going that route, but they have a TON of catching up to do. Apple is becoming really attractive right now to a more broad audience, and they have the potential to increase marketshare as they move forward with the G5. I don't know what footing Amiga will ever get because it is simply too late.

I recall the days of using the Amiga Video Toaster, made by Newtek, which I think was the only viable application on the Amiga platform. Of course there was the Preview Channel (now TV Guide Channel) and Weather Channel Local Forecasts which once used Amigas, but those days have long since past.

Oh there will allways be those who either are looking for something different,

or the hobbyists(like me) or the ones looking for nostalgia.

Other then that, that ITX board I linked to, the A1-light,

is being heavely promoted as a info kiosk mobo.

Something that I'm shure Eyetech will succeed,

with a bit of luck, in doing if you consider the characteristics of Amiga OS4

such as a very small memory footprint, very low boot times (ca 5 seconds)

good 2D driver support and good software to go with it (Hollywood).

So even though Amigas hardly will conquer the world, I think they'll be doing OK.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eric_Z

They are using the IBM 750 Fx (Moto does not make G3s).

Ooops, my bad.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Not Future Hardware.

Moving to General Discussion.