Unfolding 3D Models.

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm looking for a free Program or Cinema 4D plugin that will flatten out a 3D model for me, so it can be printed on paper to fold into a paper model. I think the technical term is 'skinning'

(I have already tried touchCAD but this seems to be completely incompatible with everything I do.)

I have Mac OS X and OS 9.

Andrew.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Try this
  • Reply 2 of 5
    That is the software I've already tried, and there seems to be no way of transferring a model from Cinema 4D to this software without it falling apart. And even if I did, I can't afford to buy this software only to use it once.

Andrew
  • Reply 3 of 5
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SquidThing

That is the software I've already tried, and there seems to be no way of transferring a model from Cinema 4D to this software without it falling apart. And even if I did, I can't afford to buy this software only to use it once.

Andrew

May I recommend

http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/idex.html

His site is simply chocker full of goodies..I seem to remember something like what you are asking for, being within his site..

PS :

He has been a devoted Macman for decades..but also speaks other lesser OS languages...

Cheers
  • Reply 4 of 5
    svinsvin Posts: 30member
    FormZ has this as a standard feature.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by SquidThing

that will flatten out a 3D model for me, so it can be printed on paper to fold into a paper model. I think the technical term is 'skinning'

actually, i think the word you're looking for is Origami