Ice Pod - true story

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just took my pod to a place called Kiruna, 200km north of the arctic circle in Sweden ... the specs say it dies below -20 and you're not supposed to use it below -4.

To which I say "pshaw." It was -28 outside and -5 in the hotel (made of ice), and Mr. Pod lent a little warmth to the proceedings. I took along some external speakers that froze the hell out my gyal's ears but worked ... it spent the night sitting on a block of ice.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ybotybot Posts: 329member
    That's quite cool! I've always wanted to go to the ice hotel, but I'm even more impressed with the fact that the little iPod survived. I live in a relatively cold climate where it's not strange to see -40º in winter (welcome to Canada).

So one of the reasons I was hesitant to purchase an iPod was: What would be the point of spending $680 on a device that won't work in the one place I need it--outside. But this makes me re-think that.

Who knows, I might get one now.

-Y
  • Reply 2 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by Harald:

<strong>I just took my pod to a place called Kiruna, 200km north of the arctic circle in Sweden ... the specs say it dies below -20 and you're not supposed to use it below -4.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Is that Centigrade?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    yes, ofcourse it is...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    regardless of whether or not it is capable of operating outside of the recommended range, taking an ipod outside during the canadian winter shouldn't be an issue. Just keep it in a pocket that is inside your jacket and it will remain in the recommended temperature range. I did this everyday last winter with my minidisk player without any problems.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I listen to my iPod when I'm in my Bobcat clearing snow... works fine. The only thing I notice is a little weird shadowing in the LCD. Functionally though, it's been great!