iPod owners please (UPDATED)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I need some clarification:

1. Can the iPod store any media at all.

2. if so, is it listed as an mp3 file would be?

3. Are we all only using it for music?

4. Can you hook it into a car stereo?

Basically, i am looking to store video for comp to comp transfer. Listen to music occasionally, but more so to play the music in a car.

thanx

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: Gigawire ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by Gigawire:

<strong>I need some clarification:

1. Can the iPod store any media at all.

2. if so, is it listed as an mp3 file would be?

3. Are we all only using it for music?

4. Can you hook it into a car stereo?

Basically, i am looking to store video for comp to comp transfer. Listen to music occasionally, but more so to play the music in a car.

thanx</strong><hr></blockquote>

1. The iPod works as both a music player and a 5 GB FireWire HD. Therefore, you can put anything on your iPod, from applications to movies to whatever.

2. Only audio files added by synchronization with iTunes show up on the iPod's display and are playable.

3. I use mine for music and to move a few large folders back and forth between computers. It will store anything, but only play back mp3, wav, or AIFF sounds.

4. If you get one of those $15 minijack to tape adapters that are sold as car cd player adapters, your iPod can be used in your car (provided that you have a cassette deck in your car).

Hope this helps!
  • Reply 2 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by Jonathan:

<strong>If you get one of those $15 minijack to tape adapters that are sold as car cd player adapters, your iPod can be used in your car (provided that you have a cassette deck in your car).</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have one of those, and while it works, the sound quality sounds muddy compared to an actual CD being played through the same car stereo. Maybe it's just my adapter...
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Ditto on the post above.

If you don't have a cassette player in your car DO NOT buy one of those FM tuner/adapter thingees - they suck. Some of the new CD in-dash players have AUX ports on them that should work with the iPod.

Chas
  • Reply 4 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by Macmedia:

<strong>If you don't have a cassette player in your car DO NOT buy one of those FM tuner/adapter thingees - they suck.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What's that, it sends through your radio?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by MacAgent:

<strong>

What's that, it sends through your radio?</strong><hr></blockquote>

yep, picks up the signal through a set station.

basically, it send out the signal that yer radio picks up. good idea really, but dont know how good it works. the quality cant be great, just because radio quality is limited. the tape player way is much better and i love how it sounds in my car w/ the ipod. but having an awesome system doesnt hurt
  • Reply 6 of 15
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I believe all new Aiwa radios have the aux port. I use it on my stereo and it works great. Sounds as good as my mp3 cds. I'd recommend those over any adapters or modulators...
  • Reply 7 of 15
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    This is all very cool stuff to know!

I'll probably be getting an iPod in the spring.

Initially, I was "whatever..." to the whole idea of the iPod, but when I finally got a clue and realized how much I use iTunes and how many of my CDs I've converted to mp3s and how cool it would be to ALWAYS have that stuff at my fingertips (not to mention the file transfer capability...beats a Zip disk all to hell), its coolness has become very apparent and real to me.

Can't wait. Maybe by the time I get around to getting mine, the price will have come down a bit or perhaps they'll have some sale/promo on them and I can pick one up for less than the current $399.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    [quote]Originally posted by _ alliance _:

<strong>

yep, picks up the signal through a set station.

basically, it send out the signal that yer radio picks up. good idea really, but dont know how good it works. the quality cant be great, just because radio quality is limited. the tape player way is much better and i love how it sounds in my car w/ the ipod. but having an awesome system doesnt hurt </strong><hr></blockquote>

hmm i was under the impression that digital fm radio was near cd quality. Anyone who knows about radio care to elaborate?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by Cosmo:

<strong>

hmm i was under the impression that digital fm radio was near cd quality. Anyone who knows about radio care to elaborate?</strong><hr></blockquote>

There's no such thing as "digital FM radio." All FM signals are analog waveforms that are generated by placing the source signal through a frequency modulator. Modulating the signal this way makes it less susceptible to noise than older amplitude modulated (AM) signals. In the case of a stereo signal the additive sum (1) and difference (2) of the two channels are sent through two separate frequency modulators, then the signals are upconverted and centered about the carrier frequency.

The only digital radio available at this time is XM Radio, which transmits digital signals from Rock and Roll (their two satellites) to your automobile. But it costs $10 month and doesn't deliver on it promise of continuous coverage across the US due to interference from buildings, tunnels, and low-energy lightbulbs.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    <a href="http://www.ccrane.com/fm_transmitter.asp"; target="_blank">http://www.ccrane.com/fm_transmitter.asp</a>;

Transmit MP3 computer audio files to your home or car radio systems. Digital PLL circuitry for drift-free tuning in full stereo, 88.3-107.7 MHz.

(Digital tuning circuitry, not digital signal)
  • Reply 11 of 15
    I've used mine to store video for playing around with in FCP - a friend borrowed it and he said it worked a charm.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    There's no reason why anyone should have any trouble getting to the files stored on an iPod (if they have a firewire mac, that is). It's a hard drive. I needed to reinstall OS X, so I just dragged my home folder on to the iPod, reinstalled, and dragged it back onto my HD. No problems (except some permissions issues). It was a life saver. 3 gigs of stuff backed up in 4 minutes. To burn that to CD, it would have taken 5 CDs and about an 1 1/2 hours (slow burner). Well worth the money...
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Can you record sound with the iPod? If so, what options (sample frequencies) can you record it at?

thanks, and thanks for all the previous replies.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    burnburn Posts: 49member
    The back of many car stereo's have rca inputs for another device.. get the jack to plug your iPod into those - crystal clear sound.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by Gigawire:

<strong>Can you record sound with the iPod? If so, what options (sample frequencies) can you record it at?

thanks, and thanks for all the previous replies.</strong><hr></blockquote>

no recording as of yet...

but I doubt apple will add that kind of capability, or any based on the fact that they just want to sell more hardware...

why give it to us when they can make us buy a new one?

apple is cheap... oh well whatcha goona do?

-paul