possible result of ibm partnership (for macworld sf)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The ebox: enterprise market machine

or thinkcentere unix to complement ibm's eservers.

replacement for the emac

What if in January IBM/Apple released a new desktop that was cobranded with OS X. Panther has x11 to use unix apps and port linux apps. This box could be based on the new g3 processor and serve as an additional option in IBM's thinkcenter line and the desktop complement to IBMs AIX 5L Version 5.2 operating system for the enterprise.

This will be a lower cost tower to replace the g4 tower. The prices will be a little cheaper for a standalone tower, maybe $750 or $850 for a combo drive with 80gb and 512 MB and the super g3. and at the low end $550-600 for cd-rw, and $1399 or so for a superdrive with 512mb and 80gb. Fairly price completive with PCs and the headless imac people are craving. Will include dvi monitor connector and a dvi to vga cord in the box.

The IBM thinkcentere supports +/- DVD burning, and perhaps apple will turn it on in January for iDVD upgrades.

With this box, switchers and offices can purchase the tower, and utilize many of their existing peripherals: mice, and monitors, and have the expandability of a tower. It won't necessarily cannibalize imac sales because it will be about the same price as an imac, but might be the ticket for cheap corporations and consumers. The imacs could be repositioned to compete with the media center pcs by adding video in and out. Software bundles would mirror the consumer line. And education people who switched to pcs could switch back without replacing all of the hardware. Those CRTs are cheap anyway.

Apple website would offer a special enterprise configuration featuring oos x OS and IBMs special easy restore features of the thinkcenteres and they can cross promote.

IBM is not afraid to take chances and step on a few toes, and Apple could use this cheaper hardware as an opening to the enterprise (and lose the cute image plaguing the imac.) In an ideal world, the tower could even be cube-like with maybe one pci-slot and user upgradeable ram and video.

check out think center link

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    That link doesn't work for me (Moz 1.4/Windows). I get a blank press release template.

I've entertained the idea of OS X licenses on IBM hardware before, but I don't see it happening on the client side. The server side is where Apple really would need a boost (at least right now).

I don't see the appearance of the iMac getting in the way either. It's small, white, uniquely ergonomic, quiet, has a full suite of ports - it's a good little client machine. So is the eMac.

I can see IBM selling Apple desktops and OSes - even supporting them - as part of a larger package, too. They have several real interests there: It broadens the market for PowerPC, chases Windows away, works well with IBM's larger-scale solutions and push toward XML and Java, asserts UNIX on the desktop without the foibles or expense of every other UNIX desktop, etc. And in terms of design (meaning industrial design, not just making it pretty) nobody touches Apple on the desktop.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Press releases

IBM Powers-up ThinkCentre Line of Desktops

Tool-free Desktop Design Eases PC Servicing

NEW YORK -- Sept. 16, 2003 -- IBM today announced several new models of its redesigned ThinkCentre desktop line, as well as one of the industry's first DVD burners to support all recordable DVD formats endorsed by the DVD Forum and DVD+RW Alliance. These new and more powerful ThinkCentre systems also offer IBM's innovative ThinkVantage Technologies designed to help customers reduce system operating costs and increase productivity.

According to many industry analysts, the initial purchase price is only about 20 percent of the cost of owning a PC. The remaining 80 percent represents the cost of deploying, managing, and maintaining the PC. IBM ThinkVantage Technologies can help customers reduce the number of service and support calls, reducing system downtime and the associated expense.

ThinkCentre desktops feature IBM ThinkVantage Technologies that improve security on select models and simplify PC "fleet management" for IT organizations. IBM PCs are the most secure standard PCs in the world when equipped with the Embedded Security Subsystem, which consists of an integrated security chip and downloadable IBM Client Security Software. This hardware and software-based solution provides a higher level of security for the client, providing a secure repository for storing sensitive keys, identity information and confidential data. No other manufacturer offers stronger security as a standard PC feature.

All ThinkCentre models include Rapid Restore Ultra, a one-button backup and recovery solution that can easily restore previously saved data, settings and applications after a software failure. The ThinkCentre S50, M50 and A50p also feature the Access IBM button, a "portal to IBM support" that taps into a rich set of onboard resources, diagnostic tools, automated solutions, and links to updates and service on-line for customers with Internet access.

IBM ThinkCentre models include a tool-free chassis design, which simplifies and enhances usability. Encased in a durable steel chassis, components inside the machine, such as the hard disk and memory, can easily be removed by the customer, making the PC serviceable and upgradeable, helping to limit the downtime and cost associated with on-site support. ThinkCentre desktops also feature an innovative "caddy" that surrounds the hard disk drive, locking it into place without the use of tools or screws.

Select models of the new ThinkCentre S50, M50 and A50p feature an internal architecture that capitalizes on the hyper-threading capabilities of Intel's Pentium 4 processor, which improves performance by multitasking. Select ThinkCentre S50, M50 and A50p models include the Intel Pentium 4 processor running at speeds up to 3.2 GHz. New models of the ThinkCentre A30 include an Intel Pentium 4 processor running at speeds up to 3.06 GHz. In addition, select ThinkCentre models feature a 48x-32x-48x Max CD-RW drive (1), enabling customers to burn CD-RW media at a fast speed.

Format Friendly

IBM is also introducing today the Multi-Burner Plus for desktops, one of the industry's first DVD burners to support all recording formats endorsed by the DVD Forum and DVD+RW Alliance, including reading and writing DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, and DVD+RW. The Multi-Burner Plus, which also burns CDs, eases customer concerns on purchasing burners that might support obsolete formats and provides fast burn speeds. The IBM Multi-Burner Plus is available today for $249.

Pricing and Availability

The new ThinkCentre S50 models are priced as low as $589; the new ThinkCentre M50 models are priced beginning at $799. Prices for the new ThinkCentre A50p models start at $749, and at $399 for the new ThinkCentre A30 models. All new ThinkCentre systems announced today are available immediately through www.ibm.com. IBM personal computers are also available through select business partners.

About IBM

IBM is the world's largest information technology company, with more than 80 years of leadership in helping businesses innovate. Drawing on resources from across IBM and key Business Partners, IBM offers a wide range of services, solutions and technologies that enable customers, large and small, to take full advantage of the new era of e-business. For more information about IBM, visit http://www.ibm.com.

• Reply 3 of 5
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jade

The ebox: enterprise market machine

First thing I thought of when I saw this was: Microsoft. X-Box...eBox. I see a small problem with that. Microsoft would file a copyright lawsuit before the product was even in production. Also, it sounds a little too PeeCeeish for me. The low price for the very low end product has never been Apple's style. They build high quality computers that fetch a relatively high price. I'm not saying they are overpriced by any means, however, they build quality machines and that is reflected in the price. I am willing to pay for an Apple product because I believe it to be higher quality (as do most people around here). I would not buy those products because the PeeCee pricing scheme just screams shoddy product.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    Thanks for the post of the release

These prices and names are approximate. Also these aren't going to be the new powermacs. I imagine later this year these components will drop enough to get them into this price range and open up apple users to more options. I belive for many businesses the reason they don't like imacs is the all-in one nature. They would prefer the flexibility og IT upgradeable and repairable products. (or laptops, but that is another story)

I hope that Apple and IBM work to utilize their strengths and come up with a compelling way to combine os X and their unix servers for enterprise servers. The tools are there, it is just time to come up with packaging and sign some deals.

Macs in ther enterprise, be sure to read the comments: major corp moving to apple?

Hopefuly apple will be announcing some major customer wins in January.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    It is a good idea but I wouldn't bet on anything like this happening.

Apple should realize that just like they liked having multiple suppliers for the PowerPC, that many government and corporate buyers like having multiple suppliers for their computers. Apple will always be locked out of some contracts because they are the sole OSX hardware supplier. But I guess Apple doesn't mind having only a small piece of the IT pie.