iPod and 2 copies of iTunes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi Guys.

I have an iPod question.

If I have 2 iTunes libraries on two different machines (music on laptop and audio-books on desktop) can I use an iPod to sync to both or do I have to have duplicate copies of everything on both machines to do this?

I guess the question is can does the iPod act like a big playlist when mounted in iTunes ?

thanks

j.

(as soon as my £15 discount for applestore from .mac comes I'm iPodTastik)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Your asking 2 different questions (I think...)

"do I have to have duplicate copies of everything on both machines to do this?"

Yes. If you plug the iPod into one of these it will carry what it last had until connected.

"I guess the question is can does the iPod act like a big playlist when mounted in iTunes ?"

It mounts with what it has on it. I'd say carry all the songs to one computer, then put that 'load' on the iPod and then wherever you go you have them all..

Hope this helps...
  • Reply 2 of 10
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i think (and i may have it backwards) that the ipod can be the storage place for songs from multiple computers. if you change it to automatic updating, giving it time to sync, then moving to the second comp, changing it to manual updating, then manually dragging all the other songs, it will have it all. then, when back on the first comp, make sure it is set to manual updates (or it may end up removing the songs from the second comp).
  • Reply 3 of 10
    I've not actually tried this but as far as I was aware the iPod is a roach motel as far as putting music files onto it. The tunes go in but they don't come back out.

Due to DRM concerns the iPod gets paired with a machine and when plugged in it syncs with some or all of the tunes on that machine. If you then plug it into a different machine it offers to wipe itself and pair with the new machine.

While there are some 3rd party apps to work around this situation at the moment it seems the easy solution is to have all your audio in one place for iPod syncing, but also duplicate it on the second machine (possibly using the iPod as a firewire drive).

That's what I've heard anyways.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    Thanks

You have been very helpful.

I was hoping to save on disk space on the laptop by not duplicating much of my music lib on it..

I may as well have all the music/books in one place (desktop) and save even more laptop disk space

Thanks again

j.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I was under the impression that it would only wipe the iPod's drive if you had auto update turned on on the second computer that you connected it to.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

Due to DRM concerns the iPod gets paired with a machine and when plugged in it syncs with some or all of the tunes on that machine. If you then plug it into a different machine it offers to wipe itself and pair with the new machine.

The iPod doesn't include DRM outside the AAC file format's MAC-authorization.

You have set your iPod to sync mode, where it is paired and kept in sync with a computer. Stupider like a fox indeed.

My iPod is in normal mode. You can drag any iTunes music file you want TO the iPod from any computer it connects to. From within iTunes, you cannot drag files FROM the iPod. Just remember if you get one to not choose to "sync" your iPod.

If you want to do that, you have 2 solutions.

1) The iPod's music is stored in /iPod_Control/Music/F** where ** is a number from 00 to 19. You can use the "Go To Folder" command in the finder (command-shift-g) to navigate to the various F** folders (and copy the files out). The iPod Control folder and all subsequent folders are hidden.

2) Use a 3rd party program like everybody else. I recommend iPodRip, you can even play songs from the iPod using it! (Handy if you don't want to fire up iTunes, or want to preview tracks before transferring). You could also use TinkerTool to enable seeing hidden files and folders in the Finder, and not have to use the "Go To Folder" command.

Barto
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

The iPod doesn't include DRM outside the AAC file format's MAC-authorization.

you cannot drag files FROM the iPod.

Hmmmm. Something doesn't add up.

• Reply 8 of 10
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    DRM is Digital Rights Management. It is software that controls what you can do with a file, based on what a content creator (read: "pimp") feels like letting you do with it.

In iTunes, the absence of the ability to copy songs from iPods (and network shares) is NOT digital rights management. It is the lack of a feature, there is no code to disable anything you should be able to do.

Even if there WAS code, it would still not be DRM. Instead, it would be Copy Protection, which is designed to prevent you from copying a file, as opposed to rights-managment scheme.

And you CAN drag files from iPods, there is nothing stopping you. You just can't do it in iTunes. Read post before answering. You were still majorly incorrect dude.

Barto
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Short answer -->

You can play ANY song on your iPod on ANY Mac when it's mounted in iTunes without dragging any files. It does exactly what you ask?mounts as a 2nd library.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    Colby2000

Thanks... I'm off to order one NOW

j.