Where Airport BS do you prefer?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Old (Silver) or New (Extreme)?

It's opinions I'm looking for, let's not let facts get in the way

I know the tech differences, but what about stability, range etc. ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The Extreme basestation for sure, for the external antenna, for the features like WDS, USB print server, etc. If anyone with a large area to cover wants to build a WLAN, I'd go with the Extreme basestation with the external antenna and then use cheaper WDS bridges like the Buffalo Airstations.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    can we nominate non-apple branded base stations? if so, my linksys wireless g router has been solid, fast, and easy to maintain.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Dear Rok,

No, you can't.

Thanks anyway.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

can we nominate non-apple branded base stations? if so, my linksys wireless g router has been solid, fast, and easy to maintain.

I have a beef with Linksys wireless products with external antennae. The RF connector on the devices isn't a single piece of metal, but rather two pieces. The main housing is soldered onto the board as usual, but then the connector is gripped/stamped into that housing. If you screw your antenna in/out enough, that piece will become loose and fall out.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Dear Rok,

No, you can't.

Thanks anyway.

What about a NetGear MR314? Can I nominate my netgear?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Netgear uses a combination of Intersil and Atheros chipset based hardware. In theory, it's best to stick with a homogenous solution. In Apple's case, they use Broadcom. Linksys, Buffalo, Belkin, Microsoft use Broadcom as well.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

No, I don't think he wants anything but AP. I figured that out through reading the subject (duh). Go with AP extreme. Better all around.