Upgrading my PB G3

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm going to be a director when I grow up so I need some practice now. I used iMovie on my friends iMac and we made a really cool movie. After that experience I sold my PS2 and all of my games for camera money. I have a DV camera now but the only problem is I have a Powerbook G3 233 Mhz and I have no firewire port. What I need to know is if I get a larger HD and a Newer Technology FireWire 2 Go PC Card and OS 9 with iMovie, will I be able to do simple DV editing? Does iMovie work with any computer or what?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    bogiebogie Posts: 407member
    Yes, but first you will need to buy a processor upgrade, because, sadly, you will need a G3 over 300MHz because iMovie and FCP both require it. Bluechip upgrades have had mixed reviews, friend has one, no troubles, xlr8yourmac.com reader reports have a mixed story.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    pb g3pb g3 Posts: 95member
    Do you have to have one or is it recommended?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    It is REQUIRED. Sounds like you could go for a new laptop. And it just so happens that I might be able to sell you a PowerBook G3 333. 50% faster than your current laptop for a great price
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Serious.... Private Message me with the details
  • Reply 5 of 10
    It won't let me private message you. You'll have to change your prefs. or e-mail me.

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: G4Dude ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 10
    It should work now, try again.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Why don't you save up for an iBook?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Ok PB G3, I sent you the message. I look forward to hearing from you.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    enderender Posts: 353member
    If I were in your shoes, I would go with the next low-end iBook that Apple releases. You won't save much by buying an older G3 powerbook, but you will be losing a lot of performance. The only trade-off will be screen size (not resolution though, just the area filled by that resolution).

-Ender
  • Reply 10 of 10
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Ender:

<strong>If I were in your shoes, I would go with the next low-end iBook that Apple releases. You won't save much by buying an older G3 powerbook, but you will be losing a lot of performance. The only trade-off will be screen size (not resolution though, just the area filled by that resolution).

-Ender</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why not just go for a current iBook if he wants it soon?