PC Compatability Issue

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
One of the reasons I felt comfortable recently switching from my PC to a new G5 was that I could use Microsoft Office, transfer a Word or Powerpoint file to my idisk, open it at work on my PC in the office, and use it without trouble.

I copied a PC-created PP presentation to my idisk, opened it on my G5 at home without trouble, edited it, put it back on the idisk, opened it at work, and....nothing! Could not open file.

Any ideas as to why this would happen? It was the same .ppt extension as before.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    Typically you have to make sure your extension is still there.

The other problem is usually the version of ppt on your mac is higher than the version on your pc, so when you save it on your mac it can't be recognised.

It should work as I use ppt files on a regular basis. I just have to remember to add the extension for my MS friends.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Strangely, even powepoint files that I never opened on the mac, but simply put on the idisk, could not be re-opened on the PC.

What's the solution if the mac powerpoint is a newer version? Is there a solution?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,219member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stujay

Strangely, even powepoint files that I never opened on the mac, but simply put on the idisk, could not be re-opened on the PC.

What's the solution if the mac powerpoint is a newer version? Is there a solution?

It sounds like there is a problem with that PC. Placing a file on your iDisk should not in and of itself change the file.

As for versions, the MacOS X version of PowerPoint should read and write the same PPT format that has been around since Office 97. However, it appears as though your problem lies on that old PC. That is where you are going to have to concentrate your efforts to find a solution to your problem.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I suspect that's correct. I'll look into that. Thanks.