Dual 2ghz or 1.8?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey all,

I'm currently saving up money for a new G5 and I've been debating on which one to get.

I'm stuck....part of me really...no, scratch that..really wants a dual G5. I mean..the power alone is awesome. And it should hold it's value longer, be more compatible, and generally last longer than a single (in terms of software running on it, etc).

BUT...the 1.8 IS a nice one..and the practicle side of me says that's all I really need. I mean...I am not using this for work and so I don't [i]need]/i] all that power. Eventually I would like to dabble in digital video..but right now it's mainly photographs in PS Elements (to be upgraded to PS sometime).

And what doesn't help is all of my friends are divided in what they tell me..some say dual all the way, others say the 1.8 is good enough.

*sigh*

As for what I can afford..well, I am saving up and so it's really just a matter of when. The difference in price would be around $500...what do you think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    If I was a G5 kinda guy (and a "power user", truly needing the performance the dual 2GHz model packs), I'd save and get that one (Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, etc.).

Casual user that I am (I don't use Photoshop THAT much, and when I do it's mostly 72ppi RGB stuff), I'd be floored with the 1.6 or 1.8, I'm sure!

In terms of holding value (and resale potential and all), I'd imagine the dual would be the way to go, combined with your needs, work, etc.

And with OS X and all, I imagine the dual would be wonderful responsive and things would just have extra bit feeling of "oomph".

If I got to within $500-600 in my savings of a $2999 dual 2GHz, I'd go ahead and save a little more and go all out and get the best (until the first half of 2004, at least...).

• Reply 2 of 4
    Hehe..yeah..that's my next question. Do I wait until MWSF or what! hehe
  • Reply 3 of 4
    well, i would wait for a speed bump in the g5s just for prices to drop, but right now im using an 800Mhz emac and just finished editing a 2.5 hour video. i dont tihnk you'll ever need it to do much more than that, so i say go with the 1.8... its enough for massive video, and you dont sound like you'll ever need to do more than that.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OSXaddict

Hehe..yeah..that's my next question. Do I wait until MWSF or what! hehe

Yes,

I have ordered my G5 in late july, and it has not been shipped yet. Apple is not even able to give me an answer to the question when.

Stockpile money and wait for january, perhaps they will release an another dualie for less money.