Did Colin Powell Lie?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Powell's former chief of intelligence says yes.

Secretary of State Colin Powell went to the United Nations to make the case for the invasion. _(Photo: CBS)

"They knew what they wanted the intelligence to show. They were really blind and deaf to any kind of countervailing information the intelligence community would produce."

Greg Thielmann

Greg Thielmann, Powell?s former chief of intelligence, says that key evidence in the speech was misrepresented and the public was deceived. _(Photo: CBS)

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in577975.shtml

He will be on 60 minutes tomorrow night to explain his accusation.

Is this the lie that will break the camel's back?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    With all due respect, if this wasn't painfully obvious to some viewer back when powell presented 'the case for war' before the invasion and military occupation of Iraq, then the viewer in question is a ****ing retard.

I mean, yeah, he exaggerated the 'facts' and used grainy sattelite photos with balloons saying 'portable chemical weapons plant' that in fact turned out to be nothing of the sort. His speech was conjecture, lies and bullshit, with the odd granule of truth just to spice things up a bit, feed the paranoia mills.

I don't blame Powell for his obvious lack of personal integrity (and implied contempt for the gullible majority of the American public), i blame the administration that gave him the speech and told him to read it. He didn't write that bullshit, he presented it.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

With all due respect, if this wasn't painfully obvious back when powell presented 'the case for war' before the invasion and military occupation of Iraq, then the viewer in question is a ****ing retard.

I mean, yeah, he exaggerated the 'facts' and used grainy sattelite photos with balloons saying 'portable chemical weapons plant' that in fact turned out to be nothing of the sort. His speech was conjecture, lies and bullshit, with the odd granule of truth just to spice things up a bit.

I don't blame Powell for his obvious lack of personal integrity, i blame the administration that gave him the speech and told him to read it. He didn't write that bullshit, he presented it.

What make this different is this guy, Greg Thielmann, Powell?s former chief of intelligence, is "going on the record" I agree everyone (meaning those of us that kept track of this sort of stuff) "knew" but IMO this is much different.

There is a difference to Joe Main Street between what he "feels" or "knows" and when powel's chief intelligence confirms our suspicions...
  • Reply 3 of 10
    I hear what you're saying, and agree: that is news.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Who is this guy?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Greg Thielmann, Powell?s former chief of intelligence.

Here's a bit more:

http://www.disinfopedia.org/wiki.pht...Greg_Thielmann

a bit more here:

Quote:

So why did the President allege a nuclear use for the tubes? According to Greg Thielmann, who directed the office of Strategic, Proliferation, and Military Affairs in the State Department's Bureau of Intelligence and Research until September 2002, "This administration has had a faith-based intelligence attitude. It's top-down use of intelligence; 'We know the answers, give us the intelligence to support those answers.'"

http://www.motherjones.com/news/upda...we_489_01.html
  • Reply 6 of 10
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Treason. Kill him.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    I don't know. I think this administration has a "get out of jail" card with no credit limit. Nothing seems to be "sticking". Now the spin is that the media is just focusing on the negatives and not the positives of Iraq. And according to the latest poll, the people are buying.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

I don't know. I think this administration has a "get out of jail" card with no credit limit. Nothing seems to be "sticking". Now the spin is that the media is just focusing on the negatives and not the positives of Iraq. And according to the latest poll, the people are buying.

My sentiments exactly. If this were a Democratic president, ANY Democratic president, the impeachment hearings would've already gotten underway. For this I am absolutely certain!
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

ANY Democratic president, the impeachment hearings would've already gotten underway. For this I am absolutely certain!

amen.

Its going to be nice to see Clark totally dissolve the patriotism bat they constantly beat over the heads of democrats each election..

preach on brother...