dmg file help

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I am expecting my very first mac to arrive this week. I have got hold of a bunch of osx programs to try out. they are all .dmg files. i have never seen this file type before. What do I do with them.

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    *.dmg is a "Disk Image" file. It is a format that copies disks verbatim. It can also be used to distribute software by acting like a disk.

Simply double-click the disk image file and it will start to verify and run a quick checksum algorithm to make sure it is complete. A "virtual" disk will mount on your desktop. Open that disk and either drag the new program to your Applications folder or run the installer (if there is one).

When done, you can eject the virtual disk and delete the original *.dmg file.

Hope this helps!
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

*.dmg is a "Disk Image" file. It is a format that copies disks verbatim. It can also be used to distribute software by acting like a disk.

Simply double-click the disk image file and it will start to verify and run a quick checksum algorithm to make sure it is complete. A "virtual" disk will mount on your desktop. Open that disk and either drag the new program to your Applications folder or run the installer (if there is one).

When done, you can eject the virtual disk and delete the original *.dmg file.

Hope this helps!

thanks for the reply mate.