iPod for first gen iMacs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I desperately want an ipod, however i'm stuck with this fireweireless rev. D iMac for at least another year and a half.

Does anyone know if there is a USB to Firewire adapter out there? I know what i would be limited of the speed of the USB bus, but i can live with that.

So far the only option i can find is Sonnet's <a href="http://www.sonnettech.com/product/harmoni_g3.html"; target="_blank">Harmoni G3 upgrade card</a> which, includes one firewire port. The only problem is that it has yet to ship, and it costs $300. Scarping together the cash for an iPod is one thing, but paying $300 more is another.

So is there anyway that i can use an ipod without buying the Harmoni?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    As far as I know, you're out of luck.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    erbiumerbium Posts: 354member

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: erbium ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 13
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    well this is all very depressing

I need a portable music solution, but every time i got 2 buy something i can't bring myself to do it, because i know when i do and i get it home i'll just realize how much better an ipod would have been.

bah...
  • Reply 4 of 13
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by Cosmo:

<strong>well this is all very depressing

I need a portable music solution, but every time i got 2 buy something i can't bring myself to do it, because i know when i do and i get it home i'll just realize how much better an ipod would have been.

bah...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Do you have any friends who have a f/w port that you can use to put the music on the iPod once? I mean, if you have less then 5 Gigs of music, it shouldn't be a problem. Just transfer the music once and be done with it.

Have you heard anymore about the Harmoni upgrade? It seems like a pretty good deal, I just wish it had a G4. 500Mhz G3 and a F/W Port is NOT a bad deal for $300. to each his own I guess...

-Paul
  • Reply 5 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by psantora:

<strong>

Do you have any friends who have a f/w port that you can use to put the music on the iPod once? I mean, if you have less then 5 Gigs of music, it shouldn't be a problem. Just transfer the music once and be done with it.

Have you heard anymore about the Harmoni upgrade? It seems like a pretty good deal, I just wish it had a G4. 500Mhz G3 and a F/W Port is NOT a bad deal for $300. to each his own I guess...

-Paul</strong><hr></blockquote>

You're right, it is a pretty good price. But he's gotta pay $300 for that then $400 for the iPod. $700 is a lot of money.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    God, I have just the same problem.

I do want that upgrade, though, iPod or not. I don't know.. I'm in dire need of an upgrade. Still working on a RAM/SGRAM-boosted Rev. A iMac! Maybe if the LCD iMacs are under $1500 or so, I might get one. Especially if it's a tablet (Oh please oh please oh please, blow us away Apple. Amen.), I can probably badger my mom enough to get one! I could even go as far as getting a job to pay for it myself, getting an Apple loan.. and/or cracking open those CDs I was saving for college. But it has to be real revolutionary to warrant that.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    My problem is that i cannot justify the $300 for the upgrade when i'll be getting a new machine when i go to university anyway (thats in a year and a half). My 333 iMac is still fine for my needs, i'm running 10.1.2 and have the ram upgraded to 384megs. Even in OS 10 speed often isn't a concern. The only exception, of course, is quicktime and open GL apps.

I do have a friend with firewire (she needed a computer, came to me for help, and of course she ended up with a mac) but it would be far too much of a hassle (and impolite) to have to go to her place to sync my ipod (i hae more than 10gigs of music).

I think i'm down to my last resort: after MWSF i'm going to try and convince my dad that he needs to upgrade his aging 6500. But he has been talking about upgrading for a long time, and considering all he does is some light word processing and web surfing i doubt he will be very apt to spend the money.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    She's your friend, you helped her with the purchase of a computer at her request.... but it's 'impolite' to use her Mac for an hour some night?

Come one man, just ask her. Bring a pizza over, use her Mac for an hour - copy MP3s on, make some playlists, delete the MP3 off the hard drive, and you're set.

Atleast until you get your new FireWire Mac that is. Heck, if she's any kind of a friend, she probably won't even mind you coming over a month later to change the msuic around a little on your iPod.

Just give her a big smile and say please.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    It's such a bummer that it didn't have firewire AND usb. Sure, transfering 5 gigs of files on usb would suck, but I think I could live with moving a couple of hundred MBs a day or so. It's better than NOTHING!
  • Reply 10 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by i am monkey:

<strong>It's such a bummer that it didn't have firewire AND usb. Sure, transfering 5 gigs of files on usb would suck, but I think I could live with moving a couple of hundred MBs a day or so. It's better than NOTHING!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Another way Apple's trying to get people to buy new Macs.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    We have an upgraded Beige G3, a rev D iMac, and a PB G4. For my Ti I have all sorts of FireWire goodies (CDRW, DV Cam, eventually iPod -- my Rio's fine for now). And while my beige has FW & USB (thanks PCI!) the iMac is just EOL. Depending on what's released on Monday, maybe one of those will dissapear.

Its too bad I have a klunky 19" Sony display. Its beige and doesn't match. And my Ti doesn't have enough vram...
  • Reply 12 of 13
    corvettecorvette Posts: 561member
    Sell your imac on ebay, buy a 400mhz imac dv, for like a little more..

ebay is strange that way
  • Reply 13 of 13
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    Good luck!