Lpr Vs Ip?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
What is the difference between LPR and IP printing?

Does OS 9 support either?

Do HP 8100 and 5si printers support either one? They are "modern" Ethernet printers with BOOTP and DHCP, TCP/IP, and AppleTalk functionality, I assume they would do IP and LPR, right?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I believe they are the same think. I also believe they are a unix thing, thus outside the realm of OS9.

Educated guesses, both.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    They are the same thing. In OS 9, when you use the Desktop Printer Utility, you create an IP connection to a printer driver like "LaserWriter 8 (LPR)" with the IP address and the print queue (blank for default). In OS X, you do so with the Print Center using the IP Printing item from the popup menu and define the IP address and print queue slightly differently (as there is a checkbox for default).

BTW, IP address can be the number (10.1.1.1) or DNS host entry (myprinter.mycompany.com). Most printers use default queues, and some Fiery RIPs use the "Print" queue, even though via AppleTalk you can have Print, Hold and Direct. And if you have the AdobePS in OS 9, you can LPR it as well.

To answer your questions, yes those printers will support IP printing. Just keep in mind if DHCP is enabled on the printer, turning it off and on may change its IP address. Best to go with manually setting the IP address and keeping it that way.

ALMOST forgot: you have to manually select the PPD file which is usually in the "System Folder/Extensions/Printer Descriptions" folder in OS 9, and in OS X, the Print Center offers a popup menu of manufacturer and model of printer to select or the ability to navigate to where any custom PPD may be stored.