Repair vs Replacement-- which is better?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have some very small dreaded white spots on my new BTO PB15 1Ghz. The spots are very small and they aren't noticeable except on a white background and if you look closely. Apple gave me a choice for repair or replacement, but wouldn't recommend one over the other. Anyway, my PB is perfect all around and I'm afraid that getting a new one may trade one set of problems for new ones (e.g. i get a perfect LCD but latch wont close and keyboard is warped). My question is-- how reliable are the repairs, or am I better off getting a new PB?

thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    if it's still underwarrenty, I would get a new one.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    latch is easy to fix, white spots are not. if you're bothered by the white spots, i'd get it fixed. although you might want to wait another 3-4 months before doing so. that will give Apple a bit of time to make minor adjustments to the production line, and hopefully work out the issue that's causing the white spots.

for an LCD, (unless the problem is amazingly simple) odds are they'd just replace it on their end anyway. (the entire machine)
  • Reply 3 of 6
    spykyspyky Posts: 55member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

latch is easy to fix, white spots are not. if you're bothered by the white spots, i'd get it fixed. although you might want to wait another 3-4 months before doing so. that will give Apple a bit of time to make minor adjustments to the production line, and hopefully work out the issue that's causing the white spots.

for an LCD, (unless the problem is amazingly simple) odds are they'd just replace it on their end anyway. (the entire machine)

I just sent my 15" way for repair, I was told that they would most likely replace the LCD. I was not given the option of trading to a new one, I was told that I might have been able to if I had had the machine for less than 10 days when I specifically asked about trading it in for a new one. (I would have to pay the restocking fee aparently).

-Spyky
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I have had my PB15 for 7 days now, and the applecare guy put me on hold for a very long time before he came back and offered the choice of swapping it for a new one. But he said I would have to decide in the next day or two if I wanted the replacement. A restocking fee was not mentioned. Although he didn't say it, he didn't seemed surprised by the white spot issue and knew what the spots looked like.

What kind of luck have people had so far with repairs and replacement? Do these guys even do a good job replacing the screen?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    if you'll notice the problem, replace it now. otherwise it will drive you nuts for the entire life of the machine. there is no substitute for a machine that's exactly what you wanted.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

id be willing to wait a bit if it meant getting the job done right. at the moment, it seems like gambling... i might get a better one or it might be worse. but if they are going to give me a whole new machine, i'd rather have it now before i have any more of my apps and files on here.