Adding ram, does brand matter?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
ok. I know crucial has the memory selecter to get there memory to upgrade my powerbook. It cost like 150, now if i go to 1800memory place thingy they offer the selector to select memory, its only like 100 shipped. It says it will work, and its generic brand, but will it do as good as crucial. Does it really matter which one it is?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Cheap RAM, generally, is more likely to fail, or to run more slowly, or to not work at all. Of course, many people have installed cheap RAM and been happy with the result.

Basically, if you want to know (to the extent that you can be certain, anyway) that the RAM you get will run, and run at the stated speed, get Crucial. If you feel that $50 is worth playing the odds a little, get the cheap stuff. Check the manufacturer's return policy first, though. If they won't take bad RAM back, don't buy from them.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    For what its worth, I have used non-crucial RAM for quite some time now in my iMac and PB, and I have had no problems.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    big macbig mac Posts: 480member
    I would definitely not purchase RAM from Coast-to-Coast (1800Memory). They are the cheapest game in town for a reason. I've purchased my modules in recent years from Datamem.com. They're not the cheapest, but they're still cheaper than the name brand outfits. And I've had mixed results. My iBook slowed to a crawl recently and it was the 256MB Datamem DIMM at fault. The module had failed spontaneously after three years, which tech support was quite surprised to hear. I was also shipped a Dead On Near Arrival part that caused me problems. So I may not purchase from DMS in the future. I'd say you don't necessarily have to get the most expensive, name brand chips, but don't buy from the cheapest stores. It will likely cost you in terms of down time and aggravation if you do.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    This should probably be in General Discussion.

By the way, Crucial is great, but there are plenty of places that are between Coast To Coast and Crucial in price and are still fine. I got the 512 MB DIMM for my eMac from MemoryX and it's worked fine, no problems. I've also bought RAM from Other World Computing and that has always worked out as well. But if you really want to be sure, just get the Crucial.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    i heard crucial is the brand mac uses for there memory in the mac already. Is that true? If its possible i wanna keep the same brand. if anyone knows please let me know. I didnt see anywhere the name of the memory in specs, may of overlooked, may not be listed. Thanks for your alls help though.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by killer2239

i heard crucial is the brand mac uses for there memory in the mac already. Is that true? If its possible i wanna keep the same brand. if anyone knows please let me know. I didnt see anywhere the name of the memory in specs, may of overlooked, may not be listed. Thanks for your alls help though.

no, you don't need to keep the same brand.

here is the deal: working generic ram is no slower or more error-prone than crucial. the issue is that it is more likely you will get a defective chip (NOTICEABLY slows machine, causes kernel panics, etc), in which case you simply send it back to where you bought it from and they replace it no questions asked.

it isn't like you are getting a slight speed boost or anything like that by buying crucial. as a side note, i have bought the cheapest, most generic ram every single time i have needed ram for the past 5 years and have never had any problems. that is probably 7-10 memory purchases.

so, if a slight possibility of getting a returnable defective chip is an issue with you, go with crucial. otherwise, save the money. to me, crucial is the same thing as those monster stereo cables. or maybe i'm just cheap.

as a final note, i have purchased twice from 1800memory and have been actually quite please with their service.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Avoid 1-800-4Memory aka Coast memory. I bought Ram from them that didn't function, and paid a LOT for shipping, only to have to pay again to have it shipped back to them. It wasn't much cheaper than the other DIMM I bought from eshop.macsales.com, from whom I then bought a second module. Bottom line: Even if Coast memory take back their faulty, shite-quality dimms, you get stung huge on all their hidden costs, re-stocking fees, shipping, etc. It's bullshit.

Crucial is overkill (and over-priced IMHO), but if you are going to buy from either, for god's sake get crucial instead of 18004Memory.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    I purchased a 512 RAM chip from SmallDog. They were very nice and told me that had problems with a shipment from Crucial and would ship me one as soon as the new ones tested ok. I received it a few days later. It lasted about 24 hours before failing. I took it to TekServe in NYC and they replaced it with a chip from Sweden. Crucial RAM comes from Korea. My computer is finally working perfectly.

17" PowerBook 1.33

1gig RAM
  • Reply 9 of 13
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    I got 512 megs from coastmemory.com for $55 shipped more than two years ago. Still working!
  • Reply 10 of 13
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I've ordered from 18004memory at least 3 times and I've always been pleased and never had any problems. I would've gotten RAM for my iMac from them, but I got free RAM from MacMall.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    resres Posts: 711member
    I've learned over the years to avoid generic. Sometime you will get lucky with it, but if your time and information are things you value, buy brand name memory from a reputable dealer.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    For laptop memory, I'd just go with Crucial. Quick and painless. They'll ship it to you quick in a nice box, and you know you're getting something well tested.

For desktops, I rarely go Crucial...

If you do want overkill, Corsair XMS is cheaper than Crucial, and much nicer. You can even buy matched pairs. Same goes for Kingston HyperX, GeiL, Mushkin, etc.

I buy desktop memory from Newegg, ZipZoomFly, MWave, Amazon, etc.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Alright, thanks, ill probably order from crucial monday or tuesday.