Why does my powerbook keep trying to dial up?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have my powerbook set up to look for ethernet, then airport and then modem (I use it at home and at work). I've noticed recently that when I'm at home, each time I wake the powerbook up from sleep it tries to dial up to the modem. The modem isn't plugged in unless I need to check my mail but what it means is that there is a hesitation (and beach ball) each time it wakes up and then an error saying it can't detect a dial tone. I get this error a few times like it keeps trying?

I don't know if the problem is because I don't shut down the powerbook - I'm connected to the ethernet at work, disconnect the drive and then put it to sleep, then wake it up at home.

It's only a mild annoyance but I was curious to see if anyone knew why this was or how I could stop it. I'm guessing that it looks for the dial tone to see if the modem is present as it chooses which networking setting to use, although I don't understand why it does this before it needs to connect?

Odd

All help much appreciated

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    yea i dunno I get that from time to time on like 6 different computers.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    At home, do you by any chance *not* have an Ethernet or AirPort available?

Simply put, your laptop is looking for the Ethernet it expects to be there when it was put to sleep at work, not finding it, and retriggering the discovery phase, which cycles then through Ethernet, AirPort, then modem, just like you told it to.

Turn off the modem (Sys Prefs -> Network -> Choose the location -> left upper pop-up to select Network Port Configurations -> uncheck Modem).

I have a separate location for on-the-road use where it just tries the modem. No sense wasting battery life keeping the AirPort active, no?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    even if i don't touch the ethernet plug and it wakes it does it sometimes.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    hmm that could be it, i use entourage with a schedule.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yup, and until you just plain disable the modem, it will continue to do that every time it wants a network connection and can't find one on Enet or WiFi.

Try the 'Modem' Location I mentioned above... it means you have to manually select it when you hook up to a modem... but you have to manually plug the modem cable in *anyway* so it's not like it's really automated to begin with. \

Then you can disable the modem in your current Location, and it'll never do this to you again.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    word, thanks guys