iTunes 4.1

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
This thread is just about iTunes, not iTMS or iTunes Windows or iTunes and AOL or Pepsi.

So is the audio cutting out every now and then bug fixed? Audio skipping in 10.2.8 fixed? Are there any new bugs? I'm going to download it after a few other people do.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    i got a new bug for you, i updated my ipod and itunes to 2.1 and 4.1 and now my ipod will mount on the desktop, but damned if itunes will see it
  • Reply 2 of 27
    nevermind, seem to have figured it out
  • Reply 3 of 27
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Let me get this straight: 2.x is only for newer iPods. I have the original 5 gig. But Software Update nags me every week to update to 2.x. Will it benefit or negatively effect my iPod 5 gig with iTunes?
  • Reply 4 of 27
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Let me get this straight: 2.x is only for newer iPods. I have the original 5 gig. But Software Update nags me every week to update to 2.x. Will it benefit or negatively effect my iPod 5 gig with iTunes?

You could just select the update, and go to the update menu and click "Make Inactive." Poof! Gone... until you want to see it again.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    sharing is back!, or has it been back earlier?
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacUsers

sharing is back!, or has it been back earlier?

It never went away.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    ya, ok, i just noticed that too... sorry about that... i never noticed that preference before
  • Reply 8 of 27
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

It never went away.

I guess the obvious question here is if it is still local area sharing or if internet sharing is back.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

I guess the obvious question here is if it is still local area sharing or if internet sharing is back.

The box to enter URLs of remote shares is POOF.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    Quote:

I was wondering about this as well. Any takers?

• Reply 11 of 27
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cj3209

I was wondering about this as well. Any takers?

It'll download an updater app. I find it very unlikely that it'll even allow you to press the update button within the app.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    The question is how do I find the IP of the people's shared libraries.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    Well, I'm really impressed at what Apple did today. The AOL thing, and Pepsi thing are really going to be big.

I can sum up why I'm happy in three words, though.

The White Stripes

click click click
  • Reply 14 of 27
    I hate these record companies, still only have the clean version of the new outkast album
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:

The question is how do I find the IP of the people's shared libraries.

Connect to the person's library, and then go to the terminal and type netstat -p tcp

The line you want should look something like this:

"tcp4 0 0 your.ip.here.bignumber their.ip.here.3689 ESTABLISHED"
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Thank you bauman! You should be Programmer's apprentice.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Okay, here's a challenge for you, bauman. That's resolving actual domain addresses rather than giving the IPs. How can you either a) force the IP or b) prevent the output from truncating?

Heh.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:

Thank you bauman! You should be Programmer's apprentice.

You might like these then, too. These are two little shell scripts that I wrote to simplify checking up on iTunes and internet connections in general. Option click to download them, and then chmod them to be executable like this: chmod 755 filename.

The first one is called connections, and it makes a nicer form of netstat... really the only information I look for. You can use the flags:

"-n" to show numeric ip names

"in" to only show incoming connections

"out" to only show outgoing connections.

Grab it here: http://www.goshen.edu/~matthewjb/ai/connections

The second one only shows those people connected to iTunes, and then (sometimes) shows the songs they are playing. It uses the command lsof which sometimes is wrong. Take it as you will. It doesn't accept any flags. Grab it here: http://www.goshen.edu/~matthewjb/ai/whatmusic

CYA disclaimer: I have been messing with these for a while, and had to generalize some things to make it work in (hopefully) every situation. I hope it works for you, but I'm not too advanced in programming, and so I may not be able to fix it. Perhaps some others could perfect some things.

Edit: Darn Safari Caching issues. I didn't see Brad's post till now. Of course, some of my scripts do that, but if you don't want to use them, just add a -n flag to the netstat command, so it looks like this: netstat -np tcp
  • Reply 19 of 27
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I feel it practically deserves its own thread, but anyway:

Does anybody have more info about the 'error correction while importing audio cds' feature, that has silently crept into iTunes. Have Apple engineers done the cool thing and included the lib Paranoia in iTunes? Or is there some other, lesser known (and lesser functional?) set of routines built in. Needless to say I'm interested. I've been using XCDRoast for months now, under X11, just to have paranoia ripping, but it's a bit of a hassle (what with killing and reviving the autodiskmount demon every time you launch the app. it always gets my system to the point where I have to reboot).
  • Reply 20 of 27
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Could you resize the iTunes window under the Dock in iTunes 4.01? I don't remember being able to do that before.

Not sure if it's a bug or feature. Curious.