Now what are all those people gonna do with their gumdrop iMacs?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
All gumpdrop iMacs just halved in value overnight, so I thought I'd start a thread to come up with some ideas of uses for them, now that they really aren't worth money.

-webserver running Linuxppc or BSD

-iMacquarium

-SETI cruncher

Any others?

SdC

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I guess either file server or web surfer

Or.....Cinema NET server
  • Reply 2 of 9
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Oh, how about edit some video, play some games, type a paper or two. Wild ideas like that.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by CosmoNut:

<strong>Oh, how about edit some video, play some games, type a paper or two. Wild ideas like that. </strong><hr></blockquote>

For someone with that signature, you sure can't see light humor at all.

SdC
  • Reply 4 of 9
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    There mat STILL be an iMac CLassic.

I HOPE. I HOPE.

Unless there's a big price overlap, I'm staying classic and may NEVER go OS X and/or iMac dumpling.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    I say they've GONE UP in value.

So, all those poor, sad people will KEEP THEIR SUPERIOR DESIGN.

Plus, they'll (Apple) still sell them. There HAS TO BE an iMac Classic for when this piece of crap design falls even flatter that it looks.

HOW F'ING HARD IS IT TO MAKE A SIMPLE SQUARE MAC WITH A STANDARD MONITOR INTERFACE?

Damn these people get me sometimes.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    People will continue to use them. When the dual USB iBook came out people continued to use the toilet seat ones right? When the B & W G3's came out people continued to use their Beige G3s right? It'll be the same with the iMac.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    goes to kids room for games, writing papers, making smaller imovies, internet access, etc...still does everything today that it did yesterday....it will just be moved from the computer room so the new iMac we will be ordering today does not make the old iMac jealous....g
  • Reply 8 of 9
    There seems to still be gumdrops available.

The <a href="http://www.apple.com/hardware"; target="_blank">Apple hardware</a> page lists, under desktops:

New iMac. Get affordable and compact high performance, including flat screen, PowerPC G4 and SuperDrive.

iMac. The PowerPC G3 based iMac starts from just $799 and is fully Internet ready.

Power Mac G4. With speeds up to 867MHz, get the power to burn CDs DVDs and Pentiums.

Server G4. Using the PowerPC G4, Macintosh Server G4 delivers industrial-strength performance for the Internet.

SdC
  • Reply 9 of 9
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Hmm, I thought I would be lacking when I sat in front of my DV SE this afternoon. But I'm not. The new iMac is cool, but I do not feel compelled to purchase one to replace my 1999, 400MHz DVSE--though I was prepared to.

I'm still only interested in an entry-level professional Mac. I will purchase that either later this year or next year.