Kickstart the main fan in the FW800

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Help! I just purchased a new FW800 G4 and it's having problems with the main fan. It's the really big one in the middle of the case.

It's been making a constant tapping noise like the blades are hitting something. I wanted to take a look at it so I temporary disconnected it. When I plugged the fan back in the case, the fan no longer works. All I did was unplug it for about 30 seconds or so.

I don't think I did any physical damage to the fan or the motherboard. Maybe something to do with the firmware of the fan? Is there any way to reset it so that it will work again? command-option-P-R did not work. Any other ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I don't know an answer to your issue. I'd advise you to stear clear from your fans though. Not having one can effectively wreck your comp in seconds. See here. (that's a must see for all of you).
  • Reply 2 of 4
    der Kopf,

Yeah, I know. Taking it to the Apple store is the best solution. It's just that I am very far away from my nearest apple authorized repair center and I wanted to find out if there are any simple keystrokes or something that I can try before I dish out several hundred dollars on shipping.

I'm not planning to do any surgery on my computer so if no-one can provide me with a simple fix by the end of the day, I'm packing it up and sending it out to the nearest Repair Center.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    You did try to rotate the fan by hand to see if it is stuck, right?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Yep, I tried that too. Anyway, it's been mailed out to Apple already. It's going to be back in a few weeks. The shipping will cost me a few hundred bucks and I will be unable to access the internet from home for a while but at least the repair is under warranty.