iSync + Palm (Using Entourage) + iPod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
So, I wanted to jump on this digital hub bandwagon, so I installed the iSync Palm conduit. Here is what I'm trying to synchronize...

I have a Palm, and I sync it with MS Entourage. I also have an iPod. So, I just used iSync, and the Palm and Entourage synchronized fine. Then iSync took my Palm's database and dumped it into Address Book and iCal. Then it took that data and put it onto the iPod.

Yeah, that sounded great.

So I open up "Contacts" on the iPod, and I have like two hundred. Most of them appear as blank entries in the main list. Further investigation revealed that this is because EVERY SINGLE FREAKING PERSON on my iChat Buddy List gets an entry in Address Book. A lot of people on my Buddy List are really old names, or I don't really want to put in their real name. But furthermore, I don't even want 80% of the people in my iChat Buddy List to synchronize with my other databases. It's pretty worthless to carry around 80 people's AIM handles.

Is there a way around this? I mean, this is pretty much case in point as to why I don't use Address Book. I don't want everyone in iChat to have a damn Address Book entry. AHHHHHHH!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I thought about this more. iSync works great. Address Book sucks. iChat's integration in Address Book is good on paper, but ends up sucking in practice. Me and the product manager of this product at Apple are going to have a little heart to heart about this at MWSF.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Make groups in your addressbook. Make a group of the people you do want to sync - call it Jack's Real Friends. Tell iSync to sync only the "Jack's Real Friends" group of contacts (click on the device you want to change the settings for to get to the synchronization settings). For each device you want to do that for.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    THANK YOU!

iChat should really make its own group in Address Book by default though...
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

THANK YOU!

iChat should really make its own group in Address Book by default though...

Glad I could help.

That's a good idea. You should submit that as feedback.