So how did they port iTunes so fast and so well?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Not so much the speed of the port - they could have been working on it for some time, but the quality. It's EXACTLY the same as the Mac verison.

That's quite a feat - I know, I develop for both Windoze and MacOS X. There's a whole lotta stuff behind iTunes, all of which is Carbon.

So, how did they do it with the exact same look and feel? I can't see them doing this all from scratch, too much effort. Maybe they've developed a Carbon library and Aqua widget set for Windows. That would certainly make good architectural sense - abstracting core OS stuff from the rest of the app. Wonder if they use the same thing for the QT Player.

Most importantly, that approach would allow them to port other applications to Windows rapidly - like tools for other lifestyle devices maybe? iPhoto maybe?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Good question, though I really hope they're not going to port any other apps. It just doesn't make sense at a time when hordes of people (at least in my line of work) seem to be switching in order to access exactly these apps.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

Good question, though I really hope they're not going to port any other apps. It just doesn't make sense at a time when hordes of people (at least in my line of work) seem to be switching in order to access exactly these apps.

I don't think hell is going to freeze over every day.

Apple will only port over software that they think will directly (or indirectly) lead to sales and interest of Apple products...
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by kiwi-in-dc

Not so much the speed of the port - they could have been working on it for some time, but the quality. It's EXACTLY the same as the Mac verison.

That's quite a feat - I know, I develop for both Windoze and MacOS X. There's a whole lotta stuff behind iTunes, all of which is Carbon.

probably used borland's c++ builder

i dont have the vcl analzer here at the moment so i cant

confirm that

but using either bcb or delphi it would be very easy

to write an app

i use both the above tools & coding is a lot faster

than say using vc++ by itself
  • Reply 4 of 14
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kiwi-in-dc

QuickTime is the answer. QT has been a crossplattform API for some time - to get the QT player running on Windows, Apple had to port quite some parts of the ToolBox years ago. Since they have carbonized the stuff on the Mac side, they had to rewrite part of the API on Windows too, but that can't be too bad since they had QT 6.x as a basis.

Could be they also ported some of the CoreFoundation stuff to get a decent UI layer (based on OpenGL?), but this too would have taken place 1-2 years ago for QuickTime player.

I'd venture the guess that the application code is mostly the same across platforms and they spend the last 6 month adding stuff to QT/Win.

Since NeXT had their stuff running on windows (someone still remember YellowBox?), porting iPhoto, Safari et al over would not be really hard - it just does not make business sense.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I put a thread in Software about a .Mac for Windows to entice users over. First, it would help show people how they can keep their important stuff separate from any one specific computer (a major fear for switchers or even upgraders.) Second, the 'advanced' features you would get on a Mac would encourage people to make the switch.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    I think Apple will port iChat AV to Windows, then people can buy an iSight and Mac and PC people can video conference, this would also help sell more iSights on the Mac side if there PC friends could video conference with them.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Screw that AOL needs to get on the ball and make AIM work with iChatAV and add video to AIM. iChatAV does not belong on Windows. That is why it uses standards to be interoperable.

I bet they were working on this for a long time. Kudos to Apple. Their employees are putting out some ridiculously awesome stuff(except 10.2.8! ). That is dedication...and the Reality Distortion Field in effect motivating people.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    I have found a bug with the windows app.

How do I report it?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Write

I think Apple will port iChat AV to Windows, then people can buy an iSight and Mac and PC people can video conference, this would also help sell more iSights on the Mac side if there PC friends could video conference with them.

it would also further push QT and most importantly MPEG 4 and AAC audio.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I'm also impressed with the timely release of the iTunes port.

Yet... we don't know when Apple started development work. They may have begun a few years ago. Recently, there were publicized job openings for the development team but this doesn't mean that work didn't begin further back with existing employees.

Even so, I too am amazed at how quickly this was released.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

How do I report it?

http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunes.html
  • Reply 12 of 14
    jpp1cdjpp1cd Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

How do I report it?

What is the bug that you found?
  • Reply 13 of 14
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jpp1cd

What is the bug that you found?

• Reply 14 of 14
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid