Win iTunes running better than my Mac iTunes??

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple is very cool but sometimes their exclusion bullshit gets a bit tiring.

On my G4@450 I have a nice Lite-On 32x cd-r which iTunes STILL refuses to recognize and burn to. There was a hacked driver for it at one point but having to find and install one EVERYTIME you update iTunes sucks. This time it attempts to see the burner, claims it can't and then crashes. Yes I repaired permissions just in case.

Well I installed iTunes on my PC today. My PC has some cheapo cd-r burner at 52x which was imported by some "please don't ask our name because it will change in a week" import company for some faceless taiwanese maker. It was like $30 on sale. I tried it in my Mac before installing in the PC just to see if it might work and of course it didn't.

Well in the PC iTunes see it, burns to it and does so with amazing speed.

So in other words Apple is willing to let PC's write to cd-rs that the won't on a Mac.

Stupid.

Meanwhile what is up with the visualizer being buttslow?

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Visualizer was a pretty nice thingy, but basically GForce and Whitecape are the 'real' show. Go get um.

As for the CDR issue? Think this way. They have next to NOBODY who has third party internal drives. Macs COME with drives that work just fine and very few cases are upgradable in the first case. So on the Mac side they have 1 in 100 folks who needs 3rd party support. On the PC side they have 100 out of 100 folks who need 3rd party support. Where do you think they are gonna develop it? Exactly.

My built in drive works awsome with iTunes. And THAT is what they are counting on. Integration, Integration, Integration. Sorry, they just measured you and put you as part of the lowest common denominator.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Yes and I suppose the Windows version of iDVD would burn to external burners as well. The assumptions are stupid. I doubt they wrote drivers for every single cd-r. They probably just left them more generic. Apple has tons of Lite-On drivers for example so it isn't like they didn't develop any 3rd party support. They just didn't for my 32x.

Nick
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Have you tried this one? (driver)

Also what is the exact model numbers? I have found 4 other drivers....
  • Reply 4 of 6
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Have you tried this one? (driver)

Also what is the exact model numbers? I have found 4 other drivers....
    [/QUOTE

It is the LTR 32-123S

As I mentioned I have used hacked drivers before. The issue is that you have to replace them EVERYTIME you update iTunes or sometimes Mac OS X. If a user can take 5 minutes and hack a driver that already works to go with the burner, Apple should be able to do the same. It is obvious they only want people to use certain drives.

Nick
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Must be a conspiracy.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

On my G4@450 I have a nice Lite-On 32x cd-r which iTunes STILL refuses to recognize and burn to. There was a hacked driver for it at one point but having to find and install one EVERYTIME you update iTunes sucks. This time it attempts to see the burner, claims it can't and then crashes. Yes I repaired permissions just in case.

This isn't so much iTunes as it is OS support for burning on various drives. I'm having grief using a Lite-On USB 2.0 drive right now via iTunes... or via Finder, Disk Copy or Disk Utility. Toast, however, can use this drive without any problems -- I guess it handles the drive at a lower level than the OS X API for disc burning.

It's very annoying. Supposedly Panther handles disc burning differently, so maybe that'll fix these problems, but Jaguar should do better with disc burners than it does.