Removing hard drive in a Ti 800...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi all...

Am looking into replacing my Ti's current drive with the hitachi 7200 rpm. Have been to Apple's site and d/l the document for instructions on how to do it. Just wondered when other people have done this, can you just close the PB, turn it upside down and unscrew and remove the bottom panel? Rather than have the screen open with the Ti turned over and the keyboard section resting on a desk...

Not the most confident of people when it comes to this sort of thing, but if i could just close the PB, turn it upside down and do the necessary it would be a lot easier...

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    Quote:

Originally posted by si_flippant

Hi all...

Am looking into replacing my Ti's current drive with the hitachi 7200 rpm. Have been to Apple's site and d/l the document for instructions on how to do it. Just wondered when other people have done this, can you just close the PB, turn it upside down and unscrew and remove the bottom panel? Rather than have the screen open with the Ti turned over and the keyboard section resting on a desk...

Not the most confident of people when it comes to this sort of thing, but if i could just close the PB, turn it upside down and do the necessary it would be a lot easier...

Thanks in advance...

Someone showed this to me so I will return the favor:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=111925

Just keep track of which screws go into which holes...

• Reply 2 of 6
    mmmm, yeah... thankyou, but like i said i have already d/l that document from apple... they show pictures of the PB *open* and resting on a table... i'm just wondering if i can do this hard drive swap by having the whole unit closed...

well, have been taking a closer look at my Ti tonight, i think i *may* just get away with it...

thanks anyway
  • Reply 3 of 6
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i would guess the reason they show it open on a table is so that you aren't putting any pressure on the lcd while working on your PB.

as great as a new HD is, it would pale in comparison to having to pay for a new LCD.

work on it with the lid open, it's the only safe way. LCD's can crack from what seems like miniscule pressure if it's put in the right place. i wouldn't play around with this.

(p.s., i've done the upgrade and it's a cinch)
  • Reply 4 of 6
    thanks for the tip! i'll do as you say... talking from experience helps huh?

• Reply 5 of 6
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i've done a few of them, they aren't bad. the dual USB iBook is the biggest pain in the ass. only one where i did one and wouldn't do anymore.

i've just learned that you don't play around where LCD's are concerned. they just cost too much money and are too delicate.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    regreg Posts: 832member
    The replacement is easy. Make sure you put the rubber feet on the new drive so it doesn't bounce around. I also agree about not taking a chance ruining the LCD.

reg