New iMac - Lets get it ON - Q&A

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Ok guys and gals...

iMac Great machine, price, form, and function. Truely great machine when looked at by itself and not thought of as a strategic move (ie no new PM speeds). I wanted a new G4 or G5, at the iMac price I can live with this, except I have issues and questions....

- I want the 22" cinema, 15" as a second monitor, can I hook it up to the new iMac and NOT be held to a 1024 x 768 res? I think not Correct me PLEASE!

- The Mini VGA post is for a seperate monitor right? Apple Flat screen monitors? Aptapter, uhmmm why?

So if the answers you guys give me suck... do I buy just the iMac, live with the lame screen, and hope for some flat screen video adapter that improves the rez and a 27" cinema in July?

(It can hold 1Gog of ram, but Apple store has only 768 option, uhmmm why?)

Sorry but I just ahve questions and thought everone else would as well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Ok guys and gals...

iMac Great machine, price, form, and function. Truely great machine when looked at by itself and not thought of as a strategic move (ie no new PM speeds). I wanted a new G4 or G5, at the iMac price I can live with this, except I have issues and questions....

- I want the 22" cinema, 15" as a second monitor, can I hook it up to the new iMac and NOT be held to a 1024 x 768 res? I think not Correct me PLEASE!

The iMac video out is mirror only. You are stuck at the iMacs resolution. The only way to increase the resolution is to change the current monitor on the iMac. Personally, I think a 17" iMac is a good idea, but I've been saying that since 1998.

- The Mini VGA post is for a seperate monitor right? Apple Flat screen monitors? Aptapter, uhmmm why?

Strangely, Apple doesn't support its own displays as second monitors.

So if the answers you guys give me suck... do I buy just the iMac, live with the lame screen, and hope for some flat screen video adapter that improves the rez and a 27" cinema in July?

There won't be any adapter that can change the iMacs mirror only video out. If high res is important, you are getting a tower.

(It can hold 1Gog of ram, but Apple store has only 768 option, uhmmm why?)

Because Apple is very weird about RAM. Always get the stripped bare min RAM from Apple, and buy you own elsewhere.

SdC
  • Reply 2 of 4
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    sdc sez:

Because Apple is very weird about RAM. Always get the stripped bare min RAM from Apple, and buy you own elsewhere.

yep...that's what i did...as soon as it ships i'll check with crucial and order 512 ram from them and shove it in that puppy...g

apple's ram prices have come down...but still can get cheaper and it's fun to mess with the insides of your iMac....
  • Reply 3 of 4
    [quote]Originally posted by thegelding:

<strong>sdc sez:

yep...that's what i did...as soon as it ships i'll check with crucial and order 512 ram from them and shove it in that puppy...g

apple's ram prices have come down...but still can get cheaper and it's fun to mess with the insides of your iMac....</strong><hr></blockquote>

mind that the accessible slot is a SO-DIMM
  • Reply 4 of 4
    [quote]Originally posted by Dali:

<strong>

- The Mini VGA post is for a seperate monitor right? Apple Flat screen monitors? Aptapter, uhmmm why?</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's for video mirroring. You know, like, an LCD projector.