Staples No Better Than CompUsa

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi all. The other day I helped a friend of ours get a new printer for his G4/400 running Mac OS 9.0.4. He lives not far from a Staples so he and I went there to chose a printer. The guy who helped us, whose name was Albert, was trashtalking OS X SO BAD.... He was saying that Apple is only a hardware company.... but they happen to make an operating system.... He says that Apple doesn't even make it... He's a dumbass. He says that Apple doesn't even make OS X and that Sun Mircosystems does... He only knows that OS X is Unix-based but it's got an APPLE DESIGNED GUI. I soo wanted to kick his ass right there.... He was really serious about it too...

Comments anyone? I wanna flame this dumbass as much as possible...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    ask him which other platform can run, photoshop, microsoft office, and run a unix CLI at the same time

but yeah its true, people out there are so ignorant, and then they are also soo opinionated at the same time. Its a shame. But he works at Staples... give him that
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

ask him which other platform can run, photoshop, microsoft office, and run a unix CLI at the same time

but yeah its true, people out there are so ignorant, and then they are also soo opinionated at the same time. Its a shame. But he works at Staples... give him that

Yeah... He doesn't realize how unique Mac OS X... He also said that Windows still needs DOS... -.- even XP... he says that it needs DOS to start up.... What a dork....
  • Reply 3 of 19
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2

Yeah... He doesn't realize how unique Mac OS X... He also said that Windows still needs DOS... -.- even XP... he says that it needs DOS to start up.... What a dork....

At one point I used to sell computers, always got a kick out of the fact that I was one of the only salesmen in the entire City that actually knew anything about what I was selling.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chagi

At one point I used to sell computers, always got a kick out of the fact that I was one of the only salesmen in the entire City that actually knew anything about what I was selling.

Yeah I know.... That guy should learn more about computers before he sells them....
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chagi

Maybe thats why I seem to be having a hard time getting a job selling computers. Maybe I should take all the advanced geeky stuff off my resume?
  • Reply 6 of 19
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Oh, absolutely. You're not supposed to know anything about what you're selling. You're supposed to know what makes the store the most money in terms of immediate profit and in terms of support contracts (where most of those stores really make their money, given that price competition usually eats up the markup they'd otherwise charge), and you're supposed to be good enough at the hard sell to push that, whatever it is. Actual technical knowledge just gets in the way, because it makes it that much harder to BS the customer into buying whatever management wants them to buy this week.

Staples is pretty hopeless. I got lumped into the "big spender" category the last time I mentioned I was a Mac user in there, and that's actually a good Mac experience in Staples as far as they go. I wouldn't waste any time on their ignorance or their preconceptions.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Oh, absolutely. You're not supposed to know anything about what you're selling. You're supposed to know what makes the store the most money in terms of immediate profit and in terms of support contracts (where most of those stores really make their money, given that price competition usually eats up the markup they'd otherwise charge), and you're supposed to be good enough at the hard sell to push that, whatever it is. Actual technical knowledge just gets in the way, because it makes it that much harder to BS the customer into buying whatever management wants them to buy this week.

Staples is pretty hopeless. I got lumped into the "big spender" category the last time I mentioned I was a Mac user in there, and that's actually a good Mac experience in Staples as far as they go. I wouldn't waste any time on their ignorance or their preconceptions.

Well put Amorph.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    myahmacmyahmac Posts: 222member
    well when i worked in radioshack the tech talk usualy helped in utterly confusing the customer into agreeing that my prodcut was better, even the people who thought they knew something. kinda fun
  • Reply 9 of 19
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by myahmac

well when i worked in radioshack the tech talk usualy helped in utterly confusing the customer into agreeing that my prodcut was better, even the people who thought they knew something. kinda fun

I was in Circuit City choosing a computer for my brother(my father wanted him to get a PC) and I asked the salesperson how much RAM a computer had(the sign was missing), and he didn't know what RAM was.

Then I took them to the Apple Store and they were so impressed with the salespeople, they bought an eMac on the spot.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

I was in Circuit City choosing a computer for my brother(my father wanted him to get a PC) and I asked the salesperson how much RAM a computer had(the sign was missing), and he didn't know what RAM was.

Then I took them to the Apple Store and they were so impressed with the salespeople, they bought an eMac on the spot.

LOL How can someone not know what RAM is? OMG! That's hillarious!!! Good move with taking your bro to the Apple Store. I'm sure he loves his eMac.

• Reply 11 of 19
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I needed a new Zip disk for one of my classes and the professor decided to let me know that I had to have a 250 instead of a 100 2 days before I needed it, so I went to the closest place there was; Staples. I asked the salesman if there were any Mac formatted discs in stock because my external Zip drive is slow at hell at reformatting them. When he said no I told him I'd just take a PC formatted and reformat it and he told me that that wouldn't work because the zip drives on Macs and PCs were different shapes and needed a different the specific discs in order for it to work. I told him that I was pretty sure I knew what I was talking about and picked up the PC formatted disc. Then I went walking around looking at the computer software and gadgets and stuff, noticed that they had Photoshop and about 7 Photoshop wanna-be programs for Windows, but not even Photoshop for Mac in stock. Then I went to see if they had graphic tablets, I couldn't find any so I asked and the guy didn't know what it was. I described to him what it was and he yells back to his boss "Hey, do we have any drafting tables in back" I said "No, grraphic tables, they plug into your computer so you can draw..." After another quick explanation I have two managers and three salesmen staring at me with their mouthes open, in disbelief that such a device could exist. I bought my disc and got far away before the chest pains set in.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

I needed a new Zip disk for one of my classes and the professor decided to let me know that I had to have a 250 instead of a 100 2 days before I needed it, so I went to the closest place there was; Staples. I asked the salesman if there were any Mac formatted discs in stock because my external Zip drive is slow at hell at reformatting them. When he said no I told him I'd just take a PC formatted and reformat it and he told me that that wouldn't work because the zip drives on Macs and PCs were different shapes and needed a different the specific discs in order for it to work. I told him that I was pretty sure I knew what I was talking about and picked up the PC formatted disc. Then I went walking around looking at the computer software and gadgets and stuff, noticed that they had Photoshop and about 7 Photoshop wanna-be programs for Windows, but not even Photoshop for Mac in stock. Then I went to see if they had graphic tablets, I couldn't find any so I asked and the guy didn't know what it was. I described to him what it was and he yells back to his boss "Hey, do we have any drafting tables in back" I said "No, grraphic tables, they plug into your computer so you can draw..." After another quick explanation I have two managers and three salesmen staring at me with their mouthes open, in disbelief that such a device could exist. I bought my disc and got far away before the chest pains set in.

LOL That's funny. I think Staples is worse than CompUsa... at least at CompUSA they PRETEND to know what they're talking about...
  • Reply 13 of 19
    yeah I can't stand how people try to hard sell you, when they are really so unknowledgable in the first place. CompUSA's over all have been quite helpful to me. The one that gets me the worst is Fry's, now there apple staff here in austin are have helped me out on occasion. So one time we hired a new guy and I went to get him a regular cheapo 1.25 MDD there about 2 monthes ago, and the sales guy wouldn't just let me be on my way. Just blabbering out the warranty plan they offer and all this crap taking 15 minutes and I was like hey... I um know what I'm doing I wanna be on my way. So I left him there with no sell. I felt like an ASS sure but he was soo pushy. what can you do? I buy all my shit online now.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

yeah I can't stand how people try to hard sell you, when they are really so unknowledgable in the first place. CompUSA's over all have been quite helpful to me. The one that gets me the worst is Fry's, now there apple staff here in austin are have helped me out on occasion. So one time we hired a new guy and I went to get him a regular cheapo 1.25 MDD there about 2 monthes ago, and the sales guy wouldn't just let me be on my way. Just blabbering out the warranty plan they offer and all this crap taking 15 minutes and I was like hey... I um know what I'm doing I wanna be on my way. So I left him there with no sell. I felt like an ASS sure but he was soo pushy. what can you do? I buy all my shit online now.

What exactly was he trying to sell you? Was it reasonable? Was it stupid?

CompUSA... helpful? right.. heh for PCs maybe but I don't think they have a good reputation for selling Macs.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Best Buy is the same way, and Amorph pretty much nailed on the explanation of actually KNOWING what you're selling getting in the way of shoving service plans down people's throats. I hate working there.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    i find it humorous how stupid some peole at best buy can be sometimes, especially since i work for them. My cell phone has been crapping out on me lately and i wandered in to look for a replacement (the only thing i'd buy an extended warranty for). i was looking at a GSM phone (my current one is a TDMA through AT&T) and the sales rep behind the counter mentioned that if i wanted to change from a TDMA phone to a GSM phone, there would be a 150.00$ (!!!) activation fee beacuse of the sim card in the phone. I dont know if she was blind when she read her sales info and thought that the 15$ fee was 150 or if she misread the cancellation fee that comes with the one year contract.

sometimes i wish i could work at the store vs the warehouse im in now, so at least that way i could get some of these poor people some straight info about what the hell theyre buying, i do everything i can to stop myself from interrupting the reps sometimes when i hear them spouting bullshit that they dont even understand to customers.

all i can say is the only good thing about my job is the discount. as long as i dont have to deal with the idiots that run the store, im happy with all my cheap accessories
  • Reply 17 of 19
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Last time I talk to someone at the CompUSA I mentioned that I was looking to get a case for my PowerBook 12". The kid asks me if I like it 'cause he has a G4 tower and wants to get a notebook. Unfortunately he got fired on the spot and tossed out on his ear
  • Reply 18 of 19
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

I asked the salesperson how much RAM a computer had(the sign was missing), and he didn't know what RAM was.

You should have told him that RAM is what the U needs to make a LAM.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

all i can say is the only good thing about my job is the discount. as long as i dont have to deal with the idiots that run the store, im happy with all my cheap accessories

I actually just applied at my local Best Buy to work weekends for 30 days, then I'm going to pick up a 57" Toshiba widescreen HDTV and some other stuff and quit. I love the discount, I just can't bring myself to push service plans for extended periods of time. I have another campus job in which I get paid $8/hr to sit and do homework 20 hours a week...so it's not like I'd be out of a job...I just want a new tv for cheap .