802.11G for my pc best card and prices

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
doesn't g card have less interference from 2.4g cordless phones, my airport card minimal interference but my dell 1150 card drops signal. wish to upgrade to G. what's the best card manufacturer, i can get a good price on a netgear $46 and free shipping,

will prices decrease towards christmas

what are your experiences.

should i wait or buy now??

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    On Macs, you can enable interference robustness on the client side of 802.11g cards, so probably yes...

http://www.netgate.com/3054CBARIES.html

^^^ This is the most powerful 802.11g card out there. It outputs 21 dBm (100+ milliwatts) to the antenna. Most cards only output 15 dBm (30 milliwatts). In practice, it doesn't really help too much in terms of range extension unless you have an equally powerful AP, but when you're on the road it'll pick up many more hotspots.

This card won't work in a Mac since it's not Broadcom chip based.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I read that the there are two underlying chip sets that are used. The best idea is to match that chip set between the base station and the computer.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    so which g card for pc works best with airport?

or should i be looking for a "b" card that works. I mean do most B cards have this signal drop, and interference problem?

suggestions??
  • Reply 4 of 4
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I read that the there are two underlying chip sets that are used. The best idea is to match that chip set between the base station and the computer.

There are four major player: Broadcom, Intersil, Atheros, Texas Instruments.