Is there a way to add a 'Services' menu to all contextual menus?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
In OS9, I used to use FinderPop. This app had all types of customizable options. Is there any way to add a services menu (liek the one found in app menu) to context. menus?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    Amazing! That's what I was thinking about last night!

It would be very convenient if the Services Menu was in the contextual menus. The service I use most often is TextEdit > Open Selection. That way, I can make a TextEdit file out of any text I have selected. It would be a lot easier to use this if it had either a key combination or if it was in a contextual menu.

Any other opinions on that?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Ok,

This is the first TRULY GOOD UI suggestion / feature request that I've seen anywhere in a very long time. System-wide support for this would be a huge convenience.

Of course, to really make sense of it, Apple would have to grasp gasp that its customers are more and more likely to use two button mice.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Keda

In OS9, I used to use FinderPop. This app had all types of customizable options. Is there any way to add a services menu (liek the one found in app menu) to context. menus?

You can get this in Cocoa applications by installing Application Enhancer and then the IceCoffee enhancer. IceCoffee turn on URL clicking in all cocoa apps as well as adds the Services menu to the contextual menu of Cocoa apps.

Works very well (until Apple does it correctly).
  • Reply 4 of 10
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    Pretty good tool. I think I'll keep it.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    or you can check out this:

key commands for services

It allows you to set your own key commands to the various 'services'.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    That IS cool. People have debated this here before, and yes I agree Services belong in a Contextual menu, not the Menu Bar usually.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

That IS cool. People have debated this here before, and yes I agree Services belong in a Contextual menu, not the Menu Bar usually.

Make that AND.

There should be nothing in the contextual menu that doesn't exist elsewhere. Ideally there should be nothing in the contextual menu that isn't an exact duplicate of a command in the real menubar.

BTW, my wish for services is: grey out the submenus when there are no active commands in them. I.e. if there's no text selected, and therefore the two TextEdit commands aren't active, then grey out the TextEdit submenu too (so it can't open). Actually, you could go further and build that behaviour into the OS's menu drawing routines. I think OS9 had that.

Amorya
  • Reply 8 of 10
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/

(Though, of course, this may already be there in Panther.)
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

this may already be there in Panther

Nope.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    I've sent my feedback to Apple. I was hoping this might be something that could be added by messing w/some of that fancy unix code. Oh well, lets hope someone at Apple sees my suggestion.