iMac screen real estate unchanged

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The number one request for the iMac was not "LCD screen" but "Bigger screen".

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    FUTURE hardware?

SdC
  • Reply 1 of 11
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    1) The optimal resolution for the old iMac, at 13.8" viewable, was 800x600. The optimal resolution for the new one, at 15" viewable, is 1024x768. The screen is bigger, brighter, clearer, and capable of displaying 10x7 well, at near-WYSIWIG resolution.

2) The new iMac is current hardware. Moving.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I think the 15" LCD is fine. Put a CRT iMac up beside a 15" Apple LCD....

I think you'll agree it's a big step forward.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    The 15" LCD is SO much better.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yes, and in about 3-4 weeks, I'll be sure to post here to tell you how much so in real life!

Gonna get one, gonna get one, gonna get one.

I have to say that I'm COMPLETELY thrilled and satisfied with this new iMac.

I was hoping for: a 15" LCD @ 1024x768, glossy white enclosure, a combo drive option, generous RAM and lots of hard drive space.

I got all of those!

The G4 and the SuperDrive are just sweet icing on the cake that I hadn't even PLANNED ON! Honestly, I would've been thrilled with an 800MHz G3 or whatever.

I LOVE this new iMac. It's gorgeous and it's stunning and it's why I love Apple. Came out of left field, but it looks like the only solution there really is, all at the same time.

I loved it last night at timecanada.com and after watching the keynote and getting the sense of size and all (and that cool monitor arm), I'm COMPLETELY in love with it today!

Funny, he didn't actually have it on and running today. Rose up out of the stage, he walked around it for a minute, then it went away.

:confused:

Would've been cool to see it running a bit.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Maybe after the iPod fiasco he didn't want to risk anything...

I can just see him booting it up.... then nothing. Silence.

"Well, you know what it's supposed to do, anyway."

Wouldn't have gone over so well with the iMac I don't think...

[EDIT - I ordered the 800 MHz iMac too - I hope they get these babies shipping FAST!]

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 11
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    dang, pscates, tell us how you really feel

ps i feel the same way and ordered one already...wish i could afford two..g

soon to be proud owner of G4 superdrive iBathRoomMirror/iLamp/iLuxo Jr or whatever it will be called by the mac faithful...g
  • Reply 8 of 11
    With this new design it will be easier for them to add to the screen size without changing the whole package, as they would have had to do with the old iMac.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Hey, that's a GREAT point, sizzle chest! I didn't even think about that! Who's to say that come summer or fall, there won't be a "Special Edition" model with a 17" LCD?

Could happen. How tough could it be? You're right...floating out there on that arm opens up WAY more possibilities down the road. I like that!
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Actually, that (for a brief moment) gave me the "AI-induced, wait for the revised model" chills.

• Reply 11 of 11
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong> Who's to say that come summer or fall, there won't be a "Special Edition" model with a 17" LCD?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think it could happen and it would be neat if the highend model allowed a new video card. We got a SE model in the iMac-1 and if Apple sticks to pattern we'll get an iMac-II SE after a few revs.